Feldgrau Author: Charles Trang

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Re: Feldgrau Author: Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang »

All the documents of these two books come from the US NARA. I did not get any help from Marine vets but I had the luck and honor to meet the whole staff of the American Legion a few months ago and got a medal from the hands of their Commander as a reward for my work on the battle of Iwo Jima. I am a former reserve officer in the French Army but, as a Pharmacist, I was never involved in combat training. But my father was an active soldier and so were a few of my relatives.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Is it a researched text history of the Division or a photo book using the mentioned already captioned images ? I didn't fully understand from the explanation.

Best wishes,
Mark C. Yerger
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

The book on Iwo Jima is essentially a photo book but the book on the 1st Marine Division is its complete history between 1942 and 1945 with a detailed account of its campaigns (Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu and Okinawa).
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Charles - I found your new book on Amazon and anyone can see from the cover by following this link that the exact title is The Old Breed.

http://www.amazon.com/MARINE-DIVISION-D ... rles+trang

That is the same title as the book already published in 1983 as I mentioned a few days ago.

John
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

"The Old Breed" is written in bigger letters than "La 1st Marine Division dans l'enfer du Pacifique" for esthetic reasons but the whole title has been registered as such. I do know the title of the book that I have just written !
raingun
Supporter

Post by raingun »

Congratulation! The new book PRE-SALE

http://www.amazon.com/Wiking-Decembre-1 ... 33&sr=1-20

Wiking: Decembre 1940 - Avril 1942 (French Edition)
just like waffen-ss
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

Thanks a lot, Raingun. The book should be published for Christmas. But I still have a lot of work to do.
raingun
Supporter

Post by raingun »

Heimdal's test cover
mxcp51xPCkIQFeL._SY300_.jpg
mxcp51xPCkIQFeL._SY300_.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 15054 times
raingun
Supporter

Post by raingun »

produit_228133_1_zoom.jpg
produit_228133_1_zoom.jpg (202.95 KiB) Viewed 15038 times
just like waffen-ss
raingun
Supporter

Post by raingun »

51G6mY3pvtL._SY300_.jpg
51G6mY3pvtL._SY300_.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
new book,September 19, 2013
just like waffen-ss
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

The first volume of my series on the SS-Division "Wiking" has been released on Friday. It is a massive book of 456 pages in size A4 with about 750 photos and documents. This volume covers the period running from December 1940 to April 1942. A lot of well known authors have helped me by providing documents and photos, and making remarks and corrections. Among them I will cite John P. Moore, Marc Rikmenspoel, Geir Brenden, Martin Mansson, Tommy Natedal, Kari Kuusela and Olli Wikberg. This is the right place to thank them one more time for their kind and precious help.
SergioDV

Post by SergioDV »

I'd like to know if it's possible to see a table of contents for the 3 volume of the Dictionnaire de la Waffen-SS. Finally, I'd like to know if those are only photo books or if there also a detailed (I hope so) description for all the units of the Waffen-SS. Thanks in advance.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

Volumes 1 to 3 of "Dictionnaire de la Waffen-SS" cover divisions 1 to 38. The first two volumes are rather photo albums as the divisions which are covered have been extensively treated in many publications. Their main interest is their great number of never before published photos. Volume 3 covers divisions 13 to 38. There are a lot of photos but also rather detailed histories of divisions which have never been covered before. If you had to buy only one volume of the series, it would be volume Nr.4. It's more a text book than a photo album. It has 542 pages in A4 size and written in small letters. Here are its contents :

- SS-Armee (6.SS-Pz.Armee, 11.SS-Pz.Armee)
- SS-Korps
- SS-Brigaden
- SS-Regimenter (those not included within the divisions : for instance SS-Freiw.Rgt. "Nordwest" or SS-Regiment "Burk" or SS-Sturmjäger-Regiment "Bobruisk" or SS-Führungs-Nachrichten-Regiment 502 and so on ...)
- SS-Verfügungstruppe
- SS-Totenkopf-Standarten
- National Legions controlled by the WSS
- SS-Panzer-Abteilungen
- SS-Artillerie-Abteilungen
- SS-Werfer-Abteilungen
- SS-Flak-Abteilungen u. Bttr.
- SS-Panzerjäger-Abteilungen
- SS-Ersatz-Einheiten (this is a big chapter)
- SS-Schulen
- Other units (many units not found in these categories. For instance : SS-Bataillon "Herzog", SS-Bataillon "Trittin", SS-Bau-Btle, SS-Begleit-Btl. "RFSS", SS-Einsatz-Bataillon "Niemegk" and many more ...). This is another big chapter.
- SS-Kampfgruppen (such as Kampfgruppe "Beilhack", Kampfgruppe "Benz", Kampfgruppe "Schweitzer" and so on). Another big chapter.
- SS-Wach-Kp. u. Btl.
- SS-Jagdverbände
- Befehlshaber der WSS
- Stabs-Kp. u. Stabs-Abt. d. WSS
- SS-Standortkommandanturen
- SS-Musik Einheiten
SergioDV

Post by SergioDV »

Thank you for your personal answer, Charles.

Now I'm really convinced to looking for Volume 3 and 4. My main interests are OOBs, TO&Es, unit histories and military campaigns.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

In most cases, as far as units at a higher level than the company are concerned, orders of battle and listings of officers (when known) are given. The main sources for the officers' listings were :

- John P. Moore's Führerliste
- Archiv Wolfgang Vopersal
- Führerstellenbesetzungslisten (when available)
- Kriegsranglisten (when available within different KTB)
- PVB
- The SS Personalhauptamt Dienstalterslisten (prewar and from 31.7.1943, 31.7.1944, 1.1.1945 and 1.3.1945)
- Casualties lists
- Mehner's book