Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Post by John P. Moore »

I have finished Volume 5 in Mark Yerger's DKiG series that featured the SS-Polizei Division. Not surprisingly, the same excellent quality as his earlier books in the series is apparent here. Plenty of new original photos and anecdotes, many of which were obtained thru his contacts with the veterans’ families. Well-documened with extensive footnotes and references. Mark went into extensive detail describing the organization and restructuring of this complex division that was anything but your typical SS division. Mark Yerger has made an important contribution to the body of knowledge about the Waffen-SS and I look forward to seeing Volume 7 that will feature the second half of the division’s DKiG holders, one of whom is a personal friend of mine and whose nephew lives nearby where we are both managers in the same industry.

John
gewissen

Post by gewissen »

hi folks,

anyone any idea when the next volume is coming up?
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Publisher has vol. 6, it's in his hands. He's slow but a perfectionist.

I'll 200 pages into volume 7

Looking for images and documents (scans of both) related to Wiking and Totenkopf

Best,
Mark
gewissen

Post by gewissen »

thanks for the info mark. ps I recognize a lot of your sometimes lonely life. studying the Waffen SS does not make you that popular. My history teacher was quite shocked when I showed him Ritterkreuztrager from Kratschmer lol. I remember (as I live in The Netherlands) my visits to Wofgang Vopersal, Munin Verlag and Schutz Verlag. It was quite a ride with my bicycle to Osnabruck and Hamminkeln.. ;-) As a 15 year old I wrote letters to the late Otto Weidinger and Kumm. Those were the days! still have the letters.... Imagine you have the same stories!
gewissen

Post by gewissen »

ps what is the topic of volume 7?
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

LOL, can I wait till 6 is closer to being physical ??
gewissen

Post by gewissen »

patience is a virtue mister yerger! ps when is number six due ready for order? I guess christmas....
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

I have recently been very fortunate to have been provided and have read a draft of Mark Yerger's upcoming new book 'German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and and Police'. This is volume 6 and concludes where volume 5 commenced on the Polizei recipients.

This new volume 6 contains a total of almost 50 biographies of German Cross in Gold holders serving in the Polizei Division / Units and in addition over 10 biographies of Independent Senior SS and Polizei Commanders (eg: Erich von dem Bach, Wolff, v.Gottberg, Kammler). And there is no white-wash of these men as some have accused Mark Yerger.

Mark once again has proved that he is a true outstanding researcher and historian. With the many facts and information Mark's writing style ensures the reader is never lost in detail or unnecessary information as so often is used to "pad out" a book. Toward the end of the book Mark again includes an important addendum to his previous 5 volumes, including his first German Cross book (ie: the SS & Polizei Silver Holders of the award). I have not seen the photo material used for the book but no doubt it can only enhance what is already a must have piece of research. In fact I believe contained within the addendum there is a never before seen photo of the Das Reich Division Knights Cross Holder Helmut Kaempfe.

No doubt we will continue to have more books published on The Malmedy Massacre, D-Day, Battle of the Bulge, the Tiger tanks, uniforms of the SS, etc. etc. etc. But after almost 70 years of the conclusion of the Second World War this volume, and in fact the entire series, is expanding and breaking new ground. Mark is to be congratulated in sharing this massive and unique information. And it is indeed amazing what Yerger has again achieved considering he receives no financial grants and no has has a small army of researchers and helpers always available to assist him unlike so many other so-called professional authors and university professors.

I sure hope this book will be published soon by Roger James Bender Publishing as it is a must have as an addition to anyone's library on the SS, Polizei and the Third Reich alone.
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Again I have been very fortunate enough to review Mark Yerger's latest manuscript on the German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police and I think it's only fair that I share my feedback to the forum.
This relates to the famous Wiking Division, with excellent information on the awardees named Adolph to Kempcke which I believe must be volume 7 in this outstanding series (NB: volume 6 is still to be published hopefully within the next few months). Wiking contained about the largest number of GCiG holders within the divisions of the Waffen-SS and contained the greatest diversity of foreign personnel. Therefore Mark had a lot to research and investigate to make this particular study complete.
As always Mark's books far exceed expectations and this volume will certainly be no exception. The introduction provides a very good overview of the division, it's composition and it's battles. Before we move into bios of the awardees we are supplied with information on the division titles, combat elements, divisional commanders and general staff officers (Ia). Furthermore towards the end we're provided with information on the Wiking Division Honor Clasp winners and Close Combat Clasp in Gold winners. And as with previous volumes Mark provides us updates, additional information and applicable corrections to those previous volumes. As is so rightly stated by Mark: "the addendum area continues to be significant and detailed, relieving the readership of buying constantly updated editions of prior volumes".
Anyone with a good knowledge of the history of the Wiking Division, it's elements at the time (eg: SS-Sturmbrigade Wallonien) and it's soldiers would be aware that this division fought in a number of the most critical battles on the Eastern Front. The division fought very well and this is because the division had excellent commanders (eg: Steiner, Gille, etc.) and outstanding combat officers/soldiers (eg: Dieckmann, Dorr, Hack, etc.). The research Mark shares details these personalities very well via the subject of the award of the German Cross in Gold. Mark not only manages to be probably the first person to share information on unknown soldiers but also manages to unearth new information on the very well known soldiers of this famous division (eg: new up to date information on Gille).
With this, still to be published, 7th volume of the series I find it amazing what Mark has again achieved. I have never personally met this great man but I believe the secret to his success is that he is driven by a real passion in the subject and equally importantly he must have outstanding networking skills. The ability to successfully network is a crucial skill to obtain information and Mark probably does this better than anyone. For example Mark has actually been in contact with a number of his subject matter (eg: the high award winners) and he is in continual contact with fellow bona-fide experts in the field (eg: George Nipe, Jess Luckens, John Moore, Roger Bender and of course Ignacio Arrondo who assists Mark with this series). Most importantly Mark utilises primary sources; something which many so-called professional historians/authors do not !
Along with Mark's work ethic and I also assume he is a perfectionist he has again produced a master-piece.
Patience is indeed a virtue - but I can't help being very impatient to see to see the future volumes in this magnificent series being published. But like a good wine we sometimes need to wait that bit longer to taste the best.

Mark, if you happen to read this can you provide us any updates?
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

A wonderful post, and I agree with every sentiment you've expressed.

Without Mark Yerger, I don't think I'd be writing for publication. Going back to 1997, his advice [which I confess I've not always followed even when it would have been wiser to do so], encouragement, constructive criticism, and other assistance has been invaluable.

~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
dandy530

Post by dandy530 »

Any idea when/if a follow-on to Riding East: The SS Cavalry Brigade in Poland and Russia, 1939-42, will be published. I am very interested in the locations/actions of January 1943.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Assembling to send volume 7 of my German Cross in Gold holders of the SS and Police series to the publisher I was rather surprised I ended up with 234 illustrations.

Any help with any images as per the types used in the series for "Wiking" or "Totenkopf" for use in the upcoming volumes would be appreciated.

Please e-mail me direct at [email protected] first to avoid your time with illustrations I may already have.

Thus far for "Wiking" and "Totenkopf" volumes I have all the various award documents for 5 German Cross holders (2 are also Knight's Cross holders) and that type of material is especially sought.

Volume 6 is designed, done, etc, simply waiting for the other volume the publisher has since he releases books in pairs.

Best wishes,
Mark C. Yerger
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Cover for volume 6 came today (below) so assume I'll see it by the holidays. Volume 7 is fully completed and already turned in ("Wiking" part I), am now in the latter part of volume 8 ("Wiking" part II). So per norm am just doing what I do and completing volumes on schedule on regular basis. Including volume 7 and the original Silver GC volume, have completed 8 volumes in under 12 years for this publisher in spite of some unknown number of surgeries including 2 transplants this year. So regardless of issues, I'll obviously keep that pace as I hate waiting forever for series volumes.

Volume 9 will be a singular large volume (at publisher request) with all the German Cross in Gold, Honor Clasp, and Gold Combat Clasp holders of "Totenkopf." Hopefully volume 8 will be printed coming year, it's a rather larger volume than the most recent ones both in text page count and number of images, including all the personal award documents for 3 KC/GC holders.

Guess cover image can't be posted as notice appears "Board attachment quota has been reached"
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

Thanks for the update Mark. Can't wait for this one to finally come out. It has been far too long between books and I really need a "Yerger fix". I know it will be well worth the wait. All the best and again thanks.
gewissen

Post by gewissen »

hi folks, happy and healthy 2013. Would this year finally bring us the long awaited volume 6 of the excellent series on the german cross in gold holders of the Waffen SS? Anyone a clue? cheers. H.