Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I have to agree its much more enjoyable to research and write about admirable men or units than the lesser numbered but well known negative ones. There are good, bad, and indifferent in all groups. I do sometimes wonder why some people spend so much time and effort attacking individuals as a near obsession. One would think they'd select a more personally positive study area or interest. Some seem less than mentally balanced from the mail I get and though just an opinion, pursuit of therapy might be a better time expenditure. But then again, to each their own. I enjoy what I do, otherwise it would be impossible.
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

Mark C Yerger wrote:Ralph, mentioned in the acknowledgements of every book I've written for the last 10 years :)

I've a feline precisely like this one--same leonine eyes, same soft fur, same inscrutible expression--and he frequently drapes himself around my neck and shoulders as I write from my home computer. My wife--who treats him much as will parents who coddle a beloved newborn--cooingly hails him with the word "Baby," while I cautiously call him "Koenigtiger." Literally, such a mercurical cat can lovingly nuzzle your cheek in one moment and wantonly cleave your flesh in the next--all in the blink of an eye.

This is the most intriguing thread I've yet seen on this site, and I hold all of you--Pipes, Yerger, Rikmanspoel, Miller, Gerhard, Rudi, Haen, moderators and contributors alike--in the highest regard.

It would do University of Utah's Ron Smelser a world of good to read this particular thread and perform a more thorough review of this incredible website. You guys are all heavyweight researchers of the highest standards, and your work will live long after your physical demise. If you don't tell the story of these legendary German military giants, who will in this day and age of calculated, often politically-contrived forgetfulness?

The descendants of these men will remember you with eternal affection even as certain scholars unfairly excoriate you, and therein lies perhaps your finest reward for all the sweat you've expended through the years.
Erwin Leibold 26.7.1942
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Ralph, though adored is the stronger personality of my 2. Occassional insane bursts of energy jumping over everything where he's tearing around at top speed for no reason is his claim to fame. Lucy, below, is the more mellow of the 2. Her goals are limited to finding me then sleeping beside me regardless of position.

Last edited by Mark C Yerger on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

In reply to a PM, yes I study other topics. My leisure reading is aeronautical development for the period in the US, Japan, Italy, Germany, and the UK. Enjoyed writing with a lot of designers, aces, etc. Below a photo from B-29 Bockscar co-pilot Fred Olivi.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I actually have more aircraft books than on the topic I write and aircraft designed wall themes are also to be found.

Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Thanks for these insights, Mark. I've tried to make clear over the years that I could never have produced my works without the jump start I received from your works, both in terms of the information they contained, and the motivation they provided.

On a more down to earth note, my two cats are my good buddies, and one of them, Jaws, is sitting on my lap, purring, as I type this. The other, Ember, is sitting a couple of feet away. So I've always understood your comments about your cats.

I edited this to remove a final comment that I decided ought to be made privately, rather than publicly.
haen2
WWII Vet

just an observation

Post by haen2 »

Hi Marc,
You are totally WRONG :D
There is no such thing as MY Cats.
There is a thing like "MY human" 8)
People do not have cats, cats have people :D :D ( and they have us very well trained too) :wink:
Success with your next publication !
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yep, cats are just little people in fur coats!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Mark C Yerger wrote:I'm convinced, if not destroyed, some of those KTBs reside somewhere in the former USSR.
Mark, if those KTBs reside in the former USSR with the high degree of probability they reside in the Central Archive of the Russian Defense Ministry (ex-Central Archive of the USSR Ministry of Defense- ZAMO) in Podolsk, Russia. I heard that in the restricted section of these Archive there are tons of KTBs of many German formations , ots of other firs hand documents, reports etc.

Best Regards from Russia,

Igor
Igor
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

What a pity the area is restricted, aside from all the other problems and expense of doing research there by a westerner. Thanks for the information.

Mark
Igorn
Associate

Post by Igorn »

Mark,

As far as I know to get access to the restricted sections of the ZAMO and get an access to the classified documents one needs to get an authorization from the Russian Defense Ministry or as an alternative one can find his way through the individuals who have some connections to the employees of this archive and who provide some paid services. I recall I saw some adds on the bulletein boards in this regard.

Best Regards from Russia,
Igor
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

My newest book is at the printer and will be available soon. Below is a description and cover image.

Volume 3 of this historically unique series encompasses the 11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier Division ”Nordland” and the developmentally tangent SS-Infanterie-Regiment ”Nordland.” 37 detailed award holder biographies in the established format include their surviving German Cross in Gold award recommendations.

Significant information on formation components is included. New biographical data for First Staff Officers, Divisional Commanders, and additional relevant personnel is revealed. Fresh facts are found for the Close Combat Clasp in Gold and Honor Clasp holders. For the collector and historian this new volume is a wealth of previously unpublished information on the Waffen-SS unit with the fifth highest number of Knight’s Cross awards, historically considered to be the best foreign division. Detailed appendix and addendum, 252 pages, 136 illustrations. Foreword by Untersturmführer a.D. Robert Rohr.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Volume 3

Table of Contents

Acknowledgements
Foreword
Introduction

SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment ”Nordland”
11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division ”Nordland”

11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division ”Nordland” Division Commanders
Fritz von Scholz
Joachim Ziegler
Dr. Gustav Krukenberg

11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division ”Nordland” First Staff Officers

German Cross in Gold holders of SS-Panzer-Grenadier Regiment ”Nordland”
and the
11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division ”Nordland”

Richard Braunstein
Clemens Dederichs
Heinz Fechner
Erhard Göttlich
Artur Grathwol
Friedrich-Wilhelm Karl
Eugen Koller
Walter Körner
Otto Kroll
Albrecht Krügel
Kurt Kühne
Karl Kutsch
Georg Langendorf
Hanns-Heinrich Lohmann
Siegfried Lorenz
Richard Mellinghaus
Herbert Meyer
Walter Plöw
Harry Polewacz
Hermann Potschka
Karl von Renteln
Erich Rosenbusch
Rudolf Rott
Fritz von Scholz
Karl-Heinz Schulz-Streeck
Per Sörensen
Richard Spörle
Arnold Stoffers
Ernst-Richard Stübben
Rudolf Ternedde
Karl Theilacker
Günther Viercks
Helmut von Vollard-Bockelberg
Willi Wagner
Alfred Wedel
Hermenegild Graf von Westphalen
Georg Wille

Roll of Honor Clasp holders
Close Combat Clasp in Gold holders

Appendix:
Division ”Nordland” Feldpost List, 1944
Staff of the III.(germanisches)SS-Panzerkorps, 1943

Addendum to Previous Volumes
Glossary
Ranks
Bibliography
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

That's certainly welcome news Mark. If the cover is any indication, I imagine that there will be plenty of new original photos for us to see.

John
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Wow, the Nordland Division is one of my favorite units to study, so this volume should be extra enjoyable for me and for those who share my interest in this unit! I can hardly wait to read it!

BTW, is that arnold Stoffers on the cover? Nice pic!