Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Re: Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Post by Mark C Yerger » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:08 am

See the below link for volume 4 update and sample pages. Page also has the new Police vol. 2 by Bender/Taylor.

After opening the page, click on the individual covers

http://www.bender-publishing.com/

Best
Mark

Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for the link, Mark. I'm quite excited to see this book in a few weeks, good luck with it!

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Mark - Thanks for the good news about the next eagerly awaited installment in your series.

John

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Volume 4 arrived yesterday and Bender is shipping orders now.

Volume 2 of his Police series also arrived at the same time.

Mark

HPT

Post by HPT » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:00 pm

No surprise that Mark's latest reference is as excellent and information-packed as usual and we have come to expect!

I have just received my copy from Roger (along with "German Police" volume 2) and am proud to have been given the privilege to contribute a brief Foreword.

Reference books have taken a quantum leap in quality over recent years and Mark's work is right up there with the very best of them.

Well done.

hpt

Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:54 am

They've all been wonderful, from the DKiS volume in 2002 through the "Nordland" book- but the Kavallerie volume is the best yet, and the one I've anticipated most. As close to flawless as anything I've ever seen. As in his previous books, Mark goes above and beyond the call of the topic, providing- in the first 133 (!) pages- information on all SS-Kav. Divisions, their commanders, their Ia's (1.Generalstabsoffiziere), etc. The photos and documents are pristine, binding exquisite, and the translations of award recommendations- detailing the basis for each award- bring the hell of combat to life better than some of the best war novels I've read.

Can't praise it highly enough, and I give it :D :D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D :D
:D 's.

Congratulations, Mark, and thanks for your continued commitment to this field of research. One would have thought you had reached the pinnacle with your Schiffer editions ten years ago, but you've outdone even those through your work with Roger.

Very sincerely yours,
~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:12 pm

I have finished reading Mark's latest book about the SS Kavallerie in his monumental DKiG series. I thought the book was very well written with very readable translations of the original German period documents. As usual, Mark comes through with an abundance of new and interesting photos. My only disappointment was the minimal coverage of SS-Obersturmbannführer Hermann Gadiscke, who was proposed for the DKiG. Therefore, I wrote something about this interesting man here.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30699&p=217251#p217251

John

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:19 pm

My deepest thanks to all for their kind comments and support.

The general scope of the series is obviously the German Cross holders of the SS and Police. Past books on KC holders or other biographical topic books always frustrated me with a lack of explanation. They give information without explaining the where, what, or who relative to fully understand the plain career facts listed.

So one goal in the series for me was to explain all the relevant data, actually what a school or unit was that an individual attended or was posted to it, who the man was that commanded him or recommended him for the award. Who preceded or succeeded him, both confirming the post as well as details of those individuals. And within the unit topic of a given volume, a full understanding of the element he was with, it’s development, titles, composition, etc. Within the limits of my ability I’ve done that with each volume in as much depth as possible while keeping the general focus on the primary topic.

Being a combat award, the obvious emphasis in the relevant data as far as each volume is the combat elements, even though some support unit data is also in appendix information. However, even for combat element commanders not every one is possible to include within the primary scope and direct tangent data parameters. Some commanders are not connected to the primary biographies to allow an expanded footnote biography or a photo is unavailable for a similar caption. Finding reason and a place to include some individuals is not always possible. In many divisions there were literally dozens of commanders at battalion or detachment level, those men exceeding the number exceeds the number of German Cross holders of the division being examined. To include them all would be more in line with a divisional history addendum instead of a study of specific award winners. In this series it would be impossible and to far off topic in many cases.

Despite these obvious limitations, there are a huge number of various level commanders, other personalities, and non-biographical significant data (units, schools, etc) covered in detail within each volume of the series with many personalities being illustrated. The vast majority of that information has not been detailed in any other texts on any SS topic. This aside from complete and corrected information for the divisional commanders and Ia for each unit covered, details on the latter being noticeably absent or complete previously. No single book on any unit can examine every commander at every level in detail. But hopefully this series starts the process in as much detail as possible within the scope I originally decided upon.

When am image of someone detailed or not shown previously becomes available, I’ve included them in the addendum of the following volumes, as well as updating any unit or biographical information that can be documented.

So the search for information for any unit already covered continues and the help of readers to add to that information.

I want to extend my thanks and appreciation to all who have helped thus far and I’m humbled by the enthusiasm many readers of the series have expressed. It makes an often frustrating project of this obvious size and scope worthwhile.

Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I picked up signed copy #147 from The Aberdeen Bookstore this afternoon. It seems very well done after a first look through it. It is nice to have profiles on guys who aren't as well known as the Das Reich and Wiking/Nordland personalities. And I already learned something that corrected a past assumption of mine. I had always figured that the Heer guy who became Ia of Florian Geyer was Berndt Freiherr von Mitzlaff, a RKT and DKiGT from the 8. Panzer Division. But now I see it was actually Sven von Mitzlaff, who was presumably either the brother or cousin of Berndt.

This is a great 1-stop shop for information about SS-Kavallerie units in English, and will no doubt enhance the content of many future books by others. With two good books out in a short time, you can rest for a few days, Mark, but you know that your readers are excited for more volumes to come :wink:

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Marc

Thanks for your kind comment and glad you already got some use from the book for the Ia in question. I've always considered them important and overlooked, often being the tactical skill behind some fine commanders with leadership skills but with less formal military training. And then often actually ran the day-to-day ops of a unit while the commander was moving about in the field. Despite that, many of them, along with Corps Cheifs of Staff, remain mostly unknown. A long list of SS divisional commanders served some time as a Ia, including Rudi Lehmann, Walter Krüger, and Fritz Freitag among others.

There is a limited time to rest for me personally, various factors require me to keep moving and get as much done as I can in the time allowed. Volume 5 is well under way.

Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 am

BTW Mark, I fully understand your many comments in your books about your cats. One of my two cats died last week, at nearly 17 years of age. I was very sad for a couple of days, but couldn't feel too bad after I realized that she had had a very long and happy life (some cats live longer, but she was a barn kitty, and she was becoming old and fat after age 10, so she lived longer than her type could be expected to). I raised her from the time she was 5 weeks old, and a lot of what I have ever posted on this site was written with her sitting on my lap as I typed. Her name was Jaws, and she was my good buddy.

Ember is almost 10, I've had her since she was 11 weeks old. She's not a lap kitty, but she's usually in the area as I'm typing, often lying by my feet. She's about 4 feet away and napping at this moment. I'll be getting her a new companion sooner or later. Both Jaws and Ember came to me as surprises of a sort, so I'll let fate and nature run their course in finding me another cat.

I too prefer feline company to that of many humans, especially at times of writing or research. :[]

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Without a doubt, Mark Yerger has a very broad body of detailed knowledge concerning the topics that he writes about. That was obvious in his two-volume series on division commanders and his earlier book on the SS Kavallerie, "Riding East". If the business plan of his publisher allowed it, I suspect that each volume could be twice the size as currently published. I am wondering what the Feldrau members think of this idea? Would you like to see more extensive detail and would you be willing to pay significantly more for it?

John

Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:50 pm

I'd like to see even more detail, so make that one positive vote.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Marc

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet, for animal people nearly bad as losing a human. Like many, when my first had to be put down it came fast and unexpected and that makes it even worse. Mine lower stress and create calm, the opposite effect many people have. Ralph now has to be given thyroid medicine twice a day, a rather fun chore as he's less than interested in the process. Despite being 13 he has huge amounts of energy and the ability to squim and distort himself beyond description if he wants to not be held. However, he never bits or scratches anyone.

Ralph went for his annual 2 shots a few weeks ago, we've had the same vet for years (he's knows me and Ralph). A newly graduated vet (a kid, " Dr Tom") and a new assistant were with my vet for "on the job practical experience". They both had perfect outfits and hair, might have been their 1st day. They were nice, and as I said Ralph never bites. He weighs 10.4 pounds and is unusually fast plus has this squirm and distort skill. The new Dr and new assistant took Ralph for his free follow up blood tests draw. They're told to always ask the owner if a pet is "difficult" so they can ask another assistant to help.

The 2 new employees didn't ask so I said nothing and neither did my vet. The 2 trainees just took Ralph and the regular vet stayed with me in the exam room. The vet smiled and looked at me and said "How long do you think ?" I said "about a minute, maybe 90 seconds". Shortly after a message came over the intercom: "Dr Tom and Sally need 2 more assistants to help with a patient in the blood test area." We laughed.

We talked for awhile waiting for them to bring Ralph back but seemed to take forever. The new assistant finally came back without Ralph, her hair kind of messed up and a bit wrinkled. "We need the cat carrier, the others finally have him trapped in a corner."

Expanding the German Cross series to where the current primary topic would become only a part would require something in a multi-volume study similar to "Knights of Steel" for each division or division type. The actual book buying market does not support that type of effort, even for the more popular "Classic" divisions as shown by how long it takes to sell an initial print run of the current format and contents, also the actual buyer support for "Knights" and how long those books took to sell. A small number of people who love a project is not enough to make it sellable in volume to where it is a financial success for a publisher regardless of how much new material is included. People buy fewer books now, many wanting simply "free parts" via forums. The current format and level of data is marketable because it has not been covered previously and has a large amount of new data. Each unit being covered in 1-2 volumes allows those who want the whole series to have diversity. More people will buy multiple volumes on a variety of units than will buy 3-4 volumes on 1 formation. Just a fact of life I've experienced. Publishers need to recoup expenses in a reasonable time to print further material so a wider market than John expressed is needed. If it were possible to print editions of 100-150 and be profitable, then the request would be feasible but it isn't at the moment with the quality of printing and binding I want.

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger » Wed May 06, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm looking for a printable scan of smaller medal award certificates (Iron Cross, combat badges, Eastern Front Medal, etc) signed by the following General rank officers for my SS/Police German Cross in Gold series:

Brenner, Globocnik, Harster, Jeckeln, Prützmann, Roesner, Schimana, Schmedes, and Wolff. Documents do NOT have to be signed when at General rank.

and 1 field grade KC holder: Pannier

Also looking for a prewar photo (hopefully under General rank but not required) for Brenner, Gottberg, Harster, Kammler, Prützmann, and Roesner.

300 or higher scans needed.

e-mail [email protected]

Thank you
Mark C. Yerger