Feldgrau Author: Doug Nash

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
RandJS

Re: Feldgrau Author: Doug Nash

Post by RandJS »

All,

Just purchased Doug Nash's "Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp" the 272 VGD's battles in the Hurtgen Forest. Very interesting, highly detailed book. Congratulations and thanks, Doug.

RandJS
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Rand,
You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it - I hope I was able to present a picture of what that phase of the war was like for the average German soldier.
Regards,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
Dai Kingsbury

Post by Dai Kingsbury »

Hi Doug, thoroughly enjoyed Victory was beyond their grasp. Do you know if the Fusiliers wore the little red band around their shoulder straps? Thanks Dai.
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Dai,
Thanks for asking and glad you enjoyed the book. There is no indication in the pile of documents in my possession that they wore any type of special insignia. I asked that question of the veterans in my interviews and they all shook their heads "no." But - if you want to know one way that they differentiated between the platoons, the 1st and 2nd Platoons, the Maschine-Pistole Platoons, they were Fuesiliers and wore yellow-piped shoulder straps of Reiter/Aufklaerungs troops, which was their branch arm of the combat troops. The 3rd Platoon, the infantry platoon, wore white-piped shoulder straps of the infantry arm. Hope this helps ---
Regards,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!