Americans awarded German Gold Cross, the first

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Americans awarded German Gold Cross, the first

Post by PA. Dutchman »

. :D Americans awarded German Gold Cross, the first time none German were awarded this medal. American Helicopter crews saved wounded German Soldiers in Afghanistan

http://soldiersangelsgermany.blogspot.com/

In this Wednesday, May 12, 2010 photo, German Lt. Gen. Kasdorf, left, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) Chief of Staff pins a medal to a U.S. soldier, part of the NATO- led ISAF forces, during an awards ceremony in Kunduz, north of Kabul, Afghanistan. Fourteen U.S. service members have received Germany's Gold Cross Medal for their bravery in extracting wounded German soldiers from a firefight in northeast Afghanistan - the first time the award has been bestowed on non-German troops. AP Photo/Ahmad Massoud.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
Zepp

Re: Americans awarded German Gold Cross, the first

Post by Zepp »

Sorry,but I think that`s wrong.There was a few presented to foreign volunteers during ww2.
I newer was the man I used to be!
Zepp

Post by Zepp »

Sorry again!I must learn to read things carefully!"non-german troops"! Yes,yes :oops: :oops:
I newer was the man I used to be!
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

I apologize, I did post it in a General Area of Forum because it did not directly relate to World War Two.

However even though it was NOT World War Two and the Iron Cross, it is the more current and one of the Highest Honors awarded by the German Military the Gold Cross. It was awarded to the Americans Soldiers for saving Germans Soldiers in a war and fight against a common enemy of both our nations.

Again I thought I was posting it in a more Common area of the Forum, but I felt it did show how far our nations have come together as true Kommards.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

Here is a little more information,

KABUL — Fourteen U.S. service members have received Germany's Gold Cross Medal for their bravery in extracting wounded German soldiers from a firefight in northeast Afghanistan — the first time the award has been given to troops from another nation.

The Americans, all members of the U.S. Army's 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, received the medals — one of Germany's highest awards for valor — on Wednesday at a German base in Kunduz province.

The U.S. crewmen were honored for risking their lives to rescue German soldiers ambushed by more than 200 Taliban fighters during a patrol April 2 near the provincial capital of Kunduz. Eleven German soldiers were critically wounded, and the battle was still active when U.S. Black Hawk evacuation helicopters arrived.

"We came under very heavy fire," said Jason LaCrosse, chief warrant officer three. "We couldn't land at first, but we came back in a second time and loaded two casualties, brought them back to the hospital, then we went back to get more."

Three of the German soldiers died of their wounds.

"We've had a strong partnership with the German soldiers," said Sgt. Antonio Gattis. "These guys are like family to us, so we took it personally when they got injured and just went out there and did what we had to do."...

In addition to LaCrosse and Gattis, the medal recipients were Capt. Robert McDonough, Chief Warrant Officers 3 Steven Husted and Nelson Visaya, Chief Warrant Officers 2 Jason Brown, Sean Johnson and Eric Wells, Staff Sgt. Travis Brown, Sgts. William Ebel and Steven Shumaker, and Spcs. Matthew Baker, Todd Marchese and Gregory Martinez.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman