WASt Help

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

WASt Help

Post by Me-109 Jagdfleiger »

Hello,
I am at a loss as to what to do, I read in several places that you could get WW1 Records from them so I submited my request looking for information on my Great Great Grandfather a WW1 vet, and this is what I got back...

Sehr geehrter Herr Pondish,

die Dienststelle besitzt im wesentlichen nur Unterlagen über Angehörige der ehemaligen Wehrmacht (Zweiter Weltkrieg).

Für die Bearbeitung Ihrer Anfrage benötigen wir die vollständigen Personalien (Name, Vorname(n), Geburtsdatum und -ort) Ihres Ur-Urgroßvaters.

Informationen zum militärischen Werdegang unterliegen der Verwaltungsgebührenordnung. Die Gebühren für derartige Auskünfte aus den hier verwalteten Unterlagen, belaufen sich in der Regel auf 8,- € pro angefangene beauskunftete Seite.
Bitte teilen Sie uns mit, ob Sie mit der Übernahme einer Verwaltungsgebühr in Höhe von bis zu 30,€ einverstanden sind.

Auf Grund der unserer Dienststelle vorgegebenen datenschutzrechtlichen Bestimmungen des Landes Berlin benötigen wir eine Vollmacht der Hinterbliebenen bzw. des Rechtsnachfolgers.

Die Bearbeitungszeit kann bis zu 12 Monaten dauern.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

And a google Translated version,

Dear Pondish,

The department has basically only records of former members of the armed forces) (Second World War.

To process your request, we need the full personal details (name, first name (s), birth date and place) of your great-great grandfather.

Information about the military career are subject to administrative fees. The fee for such information from the managed documentation here amounts to a rule of 8, - € per started Researched page.
Please let us know whether you agree with the assumption of an administration fee of up to 30, are € agree.

On the basis of our data protection regulations of the department given the state of Berlin, we need a power of attorney or the survivor of the successor.

The processing time may take up to 12 months.

Sincerely,

Does anyone have any Ideas as to what to do now? This is basicly the same response I got from them when I went looking for information about another relitive (Luftwaffe), is it because my last name does not match the person I am researching? Or am I filling out the wrong form, If I recal correctly I filled out the Private matters one for Family research... Any ideas or help?

Thank you,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

— General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: WASt Help

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Jonathan,

Is the birth date and place, just like you write, in bold type ? Than I guess you didn't fill out these on the form.

On the other hand the WASt 'only' have a 'Zentralgräberkartei' (Gravecard Registry) regarding WWI Victims, you need to research within other Archives.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Hi Richard,

Yes they were In bold along with Zweiter Weltkrieg, I did not not give them a birth date as I have no record of it, I might in some more family information I am getting from my Great Aunt but I am not sure. Do you have any Ideas for my WWII relitives that they want next of kin permission or a death certificate? SInce my family moved to the USA in 1923 I have no means of getting that kind of information, and I dont think the one I was researching had any kids. Should I re send my information using the "research ( excluding family research )" on the WASt site?

Thank you again for your help,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,
Only the spirit of attack borne in a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Jonathan,

Just sent a mail to the Sachbearbeiter(in) and Inform him or her not having a date and/or place of birth. Better first wait for the info from your Great Aunt though !!

If your aunt can't help you could give it a try at the Kirchlicher Suchdienst.

You don't need to re send using "research", did you fill out the Relationship to applicant? And what did you marked under 'Purpose' for your research?

Also the name Pondish is not common so if there is any Info available you're lucky you searching the name Pondish, I have about 30 tracing requests running now with more common names and lesser background information . . .
Last edited by Richard Schoutissen on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Hi Richard,
I will do that and see what they tell me, I am acutualy searching for Gerhard Pollmann (WW1) and Rudolf Rademacher (WW2) both are on my Grandfathers side of the family. I filled out the Relationship to Applicant, for both as Gerhard Pollman is my Great Great Grandfather and Rudolf Rademacher isnt so clear but is a Relitive (Great Uncle I think), and as for purpose for both I put Family Research (Geneology).
Thanks again,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Jonathan,

Gerhard Pollmann you will find three of them in the VdK database (WWI)

Rudolf Rademacher you will find nine of them in the VdK database (WWII) One of them also on our site.

For Purpose you should have marked the military career also !

How about the Kirchlicher Suchdienst ?
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Hi Richard,
What is the VdK? I did also request their military career information on the WASt form, I think that is why I have run into the problems. I haven't checked out the Kirchlicher Suchdienst yet put i will later this afternoon when I have some more time. Heres a little more info on the two men I am looking for.
The Gerhard Pollmann I am looking for lived in Schwerinsdorf, Niedersachsen, Germany and was possibly born in Beningafehn, Niedersachsen, Germany. Gerhard served in WWI most likely with Oldenburgisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 91part of the 19. Infanterie-Division. Rudolf Rademacher was Born July 19 1913 in Lüneburg Germany, later became a 126 vicotry Ace in the Luftwaffe serving with I/Jg-54 and 11.Jg.7.
Thank you again,
Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,

Richard Schoutissen
Associate

VdK means Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge.

"The Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e. V. is a humanitarian organization which is charged by the Federal Republic of taking care of registering the German war dead abroad and to ensuring that it is updated and monitored. The German Public Alliance advises relatives of war grave care, supervises public and private sites, supports international cooperation and assists within the sector of war grave care and fostering the engagement of young people in the last resting-place of the war-dead."

You could contact the office of the community Hesel and request further information (for example a Birth or Death certificate) regarding Gerhard Pollmann.

The same for Rudolf Rademacher but then at Lüneburg.

What kind of Information are you looking for a grave location or military career etc. ?
Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

Thanks for the links and the information, as for now im just looking for their military career information.

Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,

Me-109 Jagdfleiger
Supporter

I checked out both of the Cities websites, Looks like its 7 Euros for a copy of a birth certificate so ill send off a request for Gerhards along with his daughters Martha (my Great Grandmother) sometime in the near future,

Thank you again for you help, I appreciate it very much.

Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan,