Veterans Day

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Annelie
Patron

Veterans Day

Post by Annelie »

I hear they died to protect our freedom.
Yes, some did but others died honorably doing a job their country asked of them.
That includes not only the Allies but those of the Axis countries.

Am I the only one thinking of the Germans and Axis Veterans at this time when commemorating 11.11 Veterans Day?
Annelie

Re: Veterans Day

Post by Tom Houlihan »

No, m'Dear!

Veterans and comrades both.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

No, I'm thinking of them both also. Especially since my family has German ancestry in it.

Thanks,
Chris
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It's happening increasingly here in the UK - but not "officially" on Remembrance Sunday as yet.

But next year, for the 70th anniversary of the Battle Of britain, the Luftwaffe apparently be joining the RAF in a flypast over London...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

Certainly, everyone has the freedom to remember whomever they want to at any time of the year. Not to be crotchety or anything (but I did turn 50 in September.) Veterans Day in the US is for America's veterans. Germany has a holiday established to honor and remember the fallen warriors who died in its' service. This year, that commemoration is November 15th. The name of Germany's holiday is Volkstrauertag (National Day of Mourning). The date varies a bit each year, and falls two Sundays before the start of Advent.

Veterans Day honors America's surviving veterans. Our national holiday to our our war dead is Memorial Day, in May.
centurion854

Post by centurion854 »

I understand the desire to feel like we should remember all those who died defending their country. However, American soldiers wouldn't have died if others didn't start the war. And veterans day is for honoring surviving american vets. Memorial day is for american war dead. Now no one says you can't pause to remember the dead any time you want. I think it's a personal choice.
philippe_jehl
Supporter

Post by philippe_jehl »

It is also known as armistice day in some countries, the day World War one ended. A celebration of the ending of a terrible war. It has become over time a celebration of honeroring all war veterans past and present but I think still also a day of peace and rememberance of all those that died in not only world war one but in all wars regarless of Nationality