Hunting and shooting are deviant hobbies, says Finnish psych

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Fraulein Valkyrie

Re: Hunting and shooting are deviant hobbies, says Finnish psych

Post by Fraulein Valkyrie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Paddy Keating wrote:History shows us time and again that an armed populace always has a final resort in the face of intransigent politicians who forget that their function is to serve the nation rather than the other way around. Armed citizens help to keep politicians honest.
Or, as some phrase it in the U.S.: no matter what spin certain groups try to put on it, the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution isn't about duck hunting.

~FV

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 am

...unless said ducks wear red jackets and quack all the way from Boston to Lexington on an April evening...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds

Fraulein Valkyrie

Post by Fraulein Valkyrie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:45 am

phylo_roadking wrote:...unless said ducks wear red jackets and quack all the way from Boston to Lexington on an April evening...
:D Exactly.

~Vikki

Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:28 am

Hi Guys,

There are many angles to view this contentious issue from.

From a personal and moral standpoint, I wouldn’t want to kill any animal that didn’t pose a threat. That said, I don’t think I’d have a huge problem in killing an animal (so long as it was a “common” and not some protected or rare species) if I was going to eat it, although I have never been in that position, other than fishing.

I do find people who kill animals purely for fun, distasteful, and if that person finds gratification in killing a defenceless animal then I would agree that should be viewed as deviant behaviour.

There is no clear line here though. Do you lump the guy that bags a few dozen brace of pheasants on a Sunday morning in with the sicko that pays thousands of dollars to get a h*rd on machine-gunning a lion or elephant in some dodgy African camp?

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 am

I am in agreement with André.
Don't see any problem with target shooting however.
Annelie

Hans
Associate

Post by Hans » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Just got back from our 8 day treck out west. Got some great pictures of wildlife the tracking for which I enjoyed, especially when tracking a dingo for three quarters of an hour and finally giving up, and finding the fella 30 paces behind me. I'm sure he smiled before slinking off into the scrub. If I had put a bullet into the animals I photographed, as I used to do years ago, I know for a fact that I would not have enjoyed myself a tenth as much. Anyway to each his own.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID

Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 am

Hans wrote: If I had put a bullet into the animals I photographed, as I used to do years ago, I know for a fact that I would not have enjoyed myself a tenth as much.

- Hans
Hans,

One would assume that the animals have a nicer time when photographed rather than shot as well :D

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!

Hans
Associate

Post by Hans » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Andre,

:up: :D

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID

haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:50 am

How about FISHING ????? Just because the beasties don't scream when you yank that barbed hook out of the mouth, does not mean they do not feel it :( And next, instead of helping them out of their misery, they keep them in a dry basket or bucket, where they struggle for oxygen for some time before they die.
Come to think of it, has anybody EVER measured they galvanic changes in plants, when we harvest them ???
Come brethern, let's all be politically, and do-goodery correct, hold hands, sing "cumbaya" and starve to death. :D :( :shock: :? 8) :x :down: :roll:
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !

Hans
Associate

Post by Hans » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:25 pm

What has political correctness got to do with not getting a thrill out of killing something for sport? As for starving to death, most of us Aussies & Yanks could afford to lose a kilo or two. :D

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID

Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I am going to hopefully get Bambi in a few weeks with my black powder 50 cal Hawken. I will be eating the meat and enjoying the time outdoors. Guess I'm a deviant.

To each his own. If ya don't like to hunt, that's fine. Just don't tell me I can't or shouldn't and we'll get along just fine. :D
Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt !!

Reb
Patron

Post by Reb » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:20 am

I'm so not interested in what female psychs have to say - or male either for that matter. Deviant? The things bozos like that think are just fine have been considered 'deviant' by the rest of us for most of the existance of Western Civ.

I don't hunt, or haven't since the war. I saw an angry officer shoot some guy's burro for lying to us and for some reason that bothered me a lot. Haven't hunted since.

Had a hell of a time explaining the deer strapped to my neighbors truck to my seven year old grand daughter. But that said, most of my pals do hunt and I have no qualms about it.

I do own guns and usually carry a pistol. But Bambi is safe with me - unless she attacks! :wink:

I won't bore anyone with the why and wherefore - Paddy summed it up nicely. I don't like to be pushed around by men or by governments is the short version.

cheers
Rebs

Yuri
Supporter

Post by Yuri » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 am

John Kilmartin wrote:I can see why someone in the Netherlands does not approve of using firearms as any stray shot will hit something and may cause an international incident. I can't remember when the Dutch legislative authorities are planning on re-introducing wolves and brown bears to the Dutch 'natural' enviroment' probably about the same time they protect their old growth forest.
Outside of the major cities in Canada, firearm usage is a practical possibility. I believe Finland, like rural Canada or rural Australia is a place where firearms are acceptable both as recreational and professional tools. I know that shocking to urbanites sometimes valuable resources such as livestock or even children are attacked by wildlife. A bear, wolf/coyote/dingo are not your pet dog fifi's long lost cousins and may in fact kill your child if pressed by hunger. Myself, I'm never going to own a $10, 000 cow or bull but I think one could easily simpathize with them(that is the farmer) when they instead kill the predator rather than lose that animal. I also know that many families in rural Canada depend on game meat to get them through the year, whether it is a bear ham, venison, muskrat stew, or even a roast of our national animal.
The leading murder weapon in Canada like Finland is the knife, now that is in provable homicides, but of course the leading killer is the automobile. It is almost impossible to convict someone of murder if they use a car and I don't see anyone thinking of banning them soon.
You also have to look at culture as the number of guns per capita is the same in Canada and the US where as the murder rates are very divergent.
Russian entertainment is favourite it is hunting for a bear with a cold steel named "rogatina" which make from wooden stake branching on the end.
"Rogatina" - derivative of a word "roga" - horns
Looks "Rogatina" here so:
This weapon seems at Englishmen name - "bear spear"

The truth now this weapon can make and thus:

And to kill a bear from a telescope-sighted rifle as he is the elderly man
this business not artful, it can any.
"Rogatina" this another matter.

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:40 am

Isn't that great? Silly grin on his face. Did he do something to be proud of?

A man with a rifle and a scope shooting a bear in the bear's own terroritory. What chance did the bear have?
Why do men think its a sport to shoot animals? There are times when I think it would only be fair if the
animals had a chance to shoot for fun humans.

I guess you know what I think of shooting animals and I am an owner of firearms but only for
target shooting (not animals targets).
Annelie

Yuri
Supporter

Post by Yuri » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:35 am

I with you completely agree. The modern fire-arms do not reserve to an animal of chances of a survival. Hunting of the person armed with modern fire-arms, generally speaking, reminds hunting is almost as on a slaughterhouse a little.
In general that in Russia hunting with application of rifled fire-arms is forbidden.
On the other hand I do not see anything shameful in hunting with a shotgun (fowling piece) on birds, as well as in fishing.