job ideas for the uncommon Feldgrauian...

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

job ideas for the uncommon Feldgrauian...

Post by Dragunov »

:shock:

suppose i attempt to get a job that involves something i actually am interested in... like... uhh... 'classic' camera repair. or fish keeping (carinotetraodon travancoricus!). but if i wanted a job with those interests involved, i can probably get hired with one dealing with the latter (and not the former only because film is dead. thanks to you.) but if i wanted a job with something to do with (Axis?) military history, where do i go? Museum? we have one here, but the requirements are soo stringent it's almost like they don't want you to even try. hell, they don't even take volunteering from anyone but older lads. c'mon, free labour! :roll: any other suggestions? the cold war museum ( the Diefenbunker) was another one, but that's sorta far, and then the list has run out of steam...

suggestions? or should i give up?
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

There's always writing. You can do a lot of the research on the web but it helps to be able to get to the museums, battle fields, and veterans. The success of such books as Shattered Sword show that dedicated individuals can break into the field in a big way. At the less compelx end of things there are always periodicals, newspapers, and of course the web. One advantage here is that (especially once you've got a couple things published) you can often get in to see and hear things a non writer couldn't. Also look at what Tony Williams has done. (http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/)
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

John Diefenbacher vs. Lester Pearson...

Post by L. Kafka »

As a former native born Detroiter, I used to watch CKLW TV out of Windsor to keep up with the likes of Diefenbacher and Pearson between periods of Hockey Night In Canada. Refresh my memory: what parties were those two fellas in?
In 2002 my wife and I visited Ottawa and I marveled at how I had the road to myself only realize that people were looking at us funny because I was driving on the "bus only" road.
It must be chilly in By Ward these days.
Perhaps Ottawa and Detroit will meet in the Stanley Cup Finals, aye?
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

The is always free lance researching at archives. The folks around here - DC, seem to get paid decently and I am sure learn a great deal every visit or job they do at NARA. The prices vary a bit band they nickle and dime so they have little overhead except the camera, scanners, laptops, ect needed to do the work. A website offering your service would help too. If you speak German obviously this helps greatly at NARA.

I think most of them charge $30-40 (which doesnt go far in this area!) and hour, with a minimum of $100.00, plus cost of copies ect. Of course you would have to move to this area which likely is the worst part of the job.
M.Abicht
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

Diefenbaker was PC (now just Conservative) and Pearson was a liberal. not that i knew that offhand, i wasn't born yet back then.

it rained today, actually. and there's too much snow. and the Sens seem to be on a suckage spree now, last game we lost 3 to 2. and they made some sort of a trade to end the suckage spree, too.

there is some sort of library at our War Museum, but i doubt anyone trusts a 15 year old to do that kind of stuff. and i don't have enough general knowledge yet... haha.

oh well, i'll cut hedges or something then... or bombard the war museum with my resumé.

:roll:

thanks anyways.
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

If you take some history classes it would increase your chance of working at a museum or something. Perhaps a Ph.D or something along those lines (although that's a longterm idea).

As far as jobs go, try doing research as some people have said, perhaps (if you want to go so far) move to Europe and dig for artifacts, or research and write a book.

I dont' know the details of your situation. Are you retired and just want to find some job that is fun to keep you busy and maybe pay for a collection, or are you in need of work to support yourself? This could be bare greatly on your decision.
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

haha! retired? other side of the spectrum, 16 (i think...) years of age and bored to tears. okay, not really. but anyhoo, it would be a plus if i could get a summer job that would involve WW2ish history since doing something that you hate day in, day out is a royal drag (but that won't get me out of math...).

surprisingly, i missed the fact that my school does offer a 20th century history class. will have to sacrifice woodshop for that...

... but none of you live hereabouts. grr.

about that, what can you do with a Ph.D in ww2 history? teach little buggers like me... and/or what?

cheers,
Dragunov[/i]
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Buy you a guitar, and put it in tune
You'll be rockin' and a rollin' soon..

That was my solution. Didn't work by the way. :oops:

cheers
Reb
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

haha, but Reb, that's what i was actually planning do with the dough if i ever found a job. looks like real fun, and it's more macho than piano for sure 8)