Any Sherman Tankers (NOT rhyming slang!!!)

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Any Sherman Tankers (NOT rhyming slang!!!)

Post by phylo_roadking »

Are there any American or Commonwealth vets on the site who have ever served in the crew of a Sherman of ANY model, whether in the regular army or reserve/national guard???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Why Phylo? Just curious....

Here's a better forum on this subject for you:

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?na ... forum&f=73

Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

because I'm fed up seeing even the most expert tomes of knowledge referring to that OUTWARDS opening flap on the left rear side of the turret as a pistol port. Either the loader was armed with an gurt big 17th flintlock pistol...or that was a hatch for dumping spent brass...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

It was also used for urinating out of, or so I've heard. Looks a bit high up for that to me. Perhaps they urinated into a container, then dumped it out of the flintlock port.
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

hey, I know the US Army are mean macho guys....but doing that through a cast-steel hatchlet that has to be poked OUTWARDS from inside....They Are Obviously Not Built As Other Men...!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Definitely for disposing of shell cases. This hatch didn't change much from the early Sherman to the 76mm. T-23 turret.

But hey, not my specialty, Shermans and such. :D

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well, I KNOW its for spent brass, but why does EVERYONE seem to call it a "pistol port"???
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

phylo_roadking wrote:Well, I KNOW its for spent brass, but why does EVERYONE seem to call it a "pistol port"???
Because that's easier than making the effort to find out what it really is????
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Sadly, Tom is right.
Thanks. Dave.
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

phylo_roadking wrote:Well, I KNOW its for spent brass, but why does EVERYONE seem to call it a "pistol port"???
'Cos our American cousins love handguns, and 'pistol port' is SO much more ally than 'spent brass ejector port! :D

I seem to remember that in Ken Tout's books, brass was passed up to the commander to be thrown out, no mention of a special port for the job. His co-driver used an empty MG ammo tin to pi$$ in, and they had to pass that up as well.

In a German tank, it would probably have be called a Heissemessingsnotrauswerfenoderpistolenrausschiessentur, so it was just easier to omit the damned thing. :wink:
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

In a German tank, it would probably have be called a Heissemessingsnotrauswerfenoderpistolenrausschiessentur
For short! :wink: :D
Thanks. Dave.
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

It would appear that it was indeed a 'pistol port'. Looking through Hunnicutt I find it is always refered to as a pistol port. The early Shermans had one either side of the turret and they had vision ports in them. One was deleted along with the vision port.
Look at the earlier Grant tanks. They had 5 of these fitted on the tank. It was a standard design