A thought!

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Ian Earl
Contributor

A thought!

Post by Ian Earl »

As i pack my gear for yet another tour of Iraq a thought just occured to me, and please forgive me if this has been covered already as i haven't been around the old site for a bit.

How would old Adolf dealt with the current problems in Iraq, assuming he had got there.

Peoples thoughts?
Somewhere far far away doing secret things to nasty people in hot climates. Sssshhhh dont tell the wife, she thinks I play a piano in a whore house!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ian - define your criteria better.....

Which side would he be on.....apart from his own? :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Ian Earl
Contributor

Post by Ian Earl »

Ooops sorry, one to many brandy's.

Well he would play the part of occupier.

I just cant help but think that with his normal action of "of to the camps with you" he may of made the insurgents fight all the harder. Which begs the question have we been to soft or to hard on the locals out there.
Somewhere far far away doing secret things to nasty people in hot climates. Sssshhhh dont tell the wife, she thinks I play a piano in a whore house!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

First of all, he'd rally the remnants of the Ba'ath Party again, given its own distant Nazi roots 60+ years ago. That would give him a militant portion of the population supporting him.

"Off to the camps" wouldnt be so easy; politcal opponents obviously - every totalitarian regime does that by default - but then who ould he choose to use that "weapon" on? Certainly the Kurds, the old Ba'ath Party bugbear, to keep them sweet. After that?.....

Next would be his Al-Ribbentrop off to Tehran for a Non-Agression Pact. Offer the Iranians something anything to remove them from the domestic Iraqi quagmire for a time.

Then a shakedown time to see how that changes the environment. Ba'ath "Brownshirts" in the streets - armed unlike the original Brownshirts. Why? Even comparing Iraq to Weimar Germany and the political streetfighting of fascist vs. Communist, things have obviously ratcheted much farther up the ladder of violence than 1930's Berlin or Munich. IF you're facing extremeist gunmen you can't not be armed.

Shoot to kill anyone who's carrying a weapon and not wearing the same uniform as you. By default and your Glorious Al-Fuhrer's words, they're an Enemy Of The State.

A set of Enabling Laws, leading to arrest without trial. Only for political and terrorist crimes of course. Oh, and the Kurds....and so useful later, after all.....

Identify which section of the population you wish to be aligned with - and write a book. Make it cheap enough for anyone to have a copy if they want it, and EVERYTHING in it is based on the teachings of Islam, and written so that there can't be any debate over meanings, or religious schisms because of any ambiguity.

....just don't get it ghost-written by Salman Rushdie, and no cartoons.......
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Which begs the question have we been to soft or to hard on the locals out there.
On the other question, however - the Americans have made ONE major error; you cannot really impose democracy on a population. For a whole raft of reasons....

1/ Any "sponsored" government is indelibly tainted with being a pawn of the occupiers, if not as well being thought of as "profiting" from loosing the war.

2/ "Democracy" in a large percentage of states in the area - Iraq included - is a facade; even if elected politicians actually have/enjoy/can get to use the power they're temporarily entrusted with the the electorate..why are they REALLY voting? How few thousands through the whole population actually vote out of personal conviction? And not -
because their Imamn told them who to vote for;
their father/elders told them who to vote for
they voted along tribal/family lines (like the Al-Tikritii at the heart of the Ba'ath party)
they vote along Sunni/Shi'ite divisions.

3/ as above - "democratically elected" civil politicians may in reality get to control only a small part of the nation's life; the rest is under the control of...other Institutions...would be the best way to say it :wink:

4/ who do you pick to be your "sponsored" successor government? Picking any acknowledged "opposition" to the regime you've overthrown doesnt necessarily leave the country inn the hands of someone who's fit to run it! OR command the authority to - see ALL comments above.

So its a bit of a Catch-22 - you can't do right for doing wrong! Perhaps the best option would be to pick the religious group most closely aligned to the position you want, then G.T.F.O as soon as possible. let the inevitable fighting occur - but at least YOU aren't in the middle of it - then go BACk when the smoke has died down and the problem extremeists have..."removed each other from the equation"......

THEN pick your government from among the survivors.

Repeat as often as necessary, just NEVER get caught/put yourself in the middle - like now.
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Ian,

Best of luck in Iraq pal.

Come home safe.

Kindest regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Willhelm Gruber II
Contributor

Post by Willhelm Gruber II »

yea mate bag a Camel Jocky for me ay lol

good luck come home safe
"Gott Mit Uns"
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

"Bag a "Camel Jockey"?

You are right on the line from being deleted for racist remaks. :down: :down: :down:

Don' let it happen again!!! If I hear about "Sand-niggers", "ragheads", "camel jockeys" or any other racist nickname about Arabs on Soldatenheim, my vengeance will be awesome to behold...... :down: :down: :down:

~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:..... my vengeance will be awesome to behold...... :down: :down: :down: ~D, the EviL
:D Picture, if you will, a Tyrannosaurus Rex with haemorrhoids and a bad case of diarehia !!
Signed: "The Shadow"
Commissar D, the Evil

About right, my Shadowy Friend!!! :D :D :D :D

I will no longer tolerate racist B.S. I will eat trangressors alive and spit out their bones!! I will use their ribs to scratch out my nasal passages and their intestines as ribbons about my neck.....I will devour their wives and children and Sh*t them out if they don't follow Forum rules.

My vengeacne is not that of the Lord or any other Diety, my vengeance is that of a wild animal, a Dinosaur, a Raptor, or any Great Carnivor!!! It has nothing indeed to do with God, Ideology, or human decency, it is simply a matter of animal wrath!!

Still, I pray that my good Friend Ian Earl has a Safe Deployment to Iraq! Ian has been a member of Feldgrau from as long as I can remember since my joining Feldgrau and any sonfabitch that doesn't pray for his safety might as well quit the Board now!!! !

I am utterly amazed that , on a Board devoted to Soldiers, some people do no seem to recognize Ian's braverery and sefl-sacrifice.

~D, the EviL
~D, the EviL
Commissar D, the Evil

By the way Ian, Adolf and tthe German Army were never very good at eliminating inursugrents. Look at Russa, Poland and Yugoslavia. It is almosti impossible to eliminate an insurgency in a country where the majorioty of the population suppports the insurgencty.

One would have thought that America would have learned this lesson in Vietnam, which at least didn't have the religious problems of Iraq!

Best,
Savid
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:I am utterly amazed that , on a Board devoted to Soldiers, some people do no seem to recognize Ian's braverery and sefl-sacrifice.
Hmmm.... Maybe doing it privately wasn't such a good idea.

I doubt he'll run into my brother, but that would be kinda neat, wouldn't it?? :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I will devour their wives and children and Sh*t them out
Doesnt sound like you'll be intevening in the Paulus - Pm2 spat then? :D :D :D
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

and any sonfabitch that doesn't pray for his safety might as well quit the Board now!!! !
Ahmmm...oooww...ehmm good luck Ian!!!!

Ian btw which part of Iraq your getting deployed to?
PS don't really trust anything you have initial bad feelings about and may Isis and Ares accompany you on your fieldtrips...GOOD LUCK!!!
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:By the way Ian, Adolf and tthe German Army were never very good at eliminating inursugrents. Look at Russa, Poland and Yugoslavia. It is almosti impossible to eliminate an insurgency in a country where the majorioty of the population suppports the insurgencty.
I'd argue that they were pretty good at eliminating insurgents. What they weren't good at was eliminating insurgencies (at least within the time frame they had) Part of the problem was that their methods of dealing witht the insurgents and insurgencies virtually guaranteed that the only way to eliminate the insurgencies was to eliminate the whole populations.