What are you listening to right now?

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

DeBaer wrote:hm i like nirvana,
right now im listening to

Why Oh Why by The Toasters

oh, those sweet ska tunes... :D
Wow, that's cool! :D I'm listening to the Toasters too right now and plan to see their gig the next week...

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

Nibelung wrote:
DeBaer wrote:hm i like nirvana,
right now im listening to

Why Oh Why by The Toasters

oh, those sweet ska tunes... :D
Wow, that's cool! :D I'm listening to the Toasters too right now and plan to see their gig the next week...

best,
Nibelung
Huh, cool. I wouldn't have imagined someone in here to be also into them. I can only recommend to go there and see them live. Rhe brass sounds WAY better live and those skanking masses are always fun. I will never forget when they played "Twotone Army" "Weekend in LA" or when in the end the Brass players of the supporting bands joined in "Matt Davis". That was awesome...
Go there, you wont regret it....

Jock, Foo's were also one of my first bands to get into. I used to listen to Rock,Hardrock, Alternate Rock a lot when i first discovered this great thing called music, but now im rather into Punkrock,Ska&Reggae (only musical interest though, im neither a punk nor a rudeboy nor a rastafari :D).

Right now playing:

Pirate Radio by The Toasters
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Sven, we seem to have similar tastes... :D ...or is it just me remembering the good old days of high school punk leanings? :wink:

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

yeah, seems so. :wink:
Those high school leanings might take some effect there :wink:.
To me high school is not really memories yet (although it's weekend right now :D). Still got one year to go.
These "general" high school punk tendencies you could notice seem to have faded, most stundents are more into Hiphop and R'n'b and dont care about politics and social problems, only about who's got the coolest outfit. And those younger "punks" think "weird haircut, fast/loud music and skating = punk".... :?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Yes Sven, I know what you are talking about...and most "punk" of today's highschool kids is usually only a shadow of the "original idea" of the music and the movement.

I never really did belive the "philosophy" punk was offering, but the though of an independant voice is allways an interesting thing to hear. :D ...and it is true, the further back you go, the better bands you get. I mean, anyone who would call most of the 90's bands punk is way off-board... AND publicity usually destroys these bands.

best,
Nibelung
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Heh, Exactly the same here...14 y/o + skateboard + dyed hair + Lostprophets = Punk...Aye right it does. Agreed Nibelung, the oldies are the best. I used to listen to a bit more punk in the past like Less Than Jake and NOFX.

It'll come as a shock, but instead of Nirvana today, Im listening to Leadbelly. :D

Rock Island Line - Leadbelly

Cheers,
Jock
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

ah Leadbelly - wasn't he the guy behind the song 'john hardy'?
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Yep, thats the one Rolf. Good acoustic/vocal music, all recorded in the 30's/40's too! Worth picking up an album or two of his...I have to admit I only found out about him when I heard Nirvana play 'Where did you sleep last night' which is of course, a Leadbelly cover.

Cheers,
Jock
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

John Mellencamp:Small Town

Thanks,
Chris
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Jock, that's the same link to Ledbelly I took to... :D

best,
Nibelung
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

there's a great version of 'john hardy' by the gun club on their 'miami' lp, which was probably the first time I'd heard a leadbelly song... oh hang on, didn't he do 'black betty'? I've got the RamJam version on 7in somewhere. I understand they took some flak for that title, and had to point out the song's origins to their detractors!

saw the damned last night, they were good fun.
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi,

Nibelung, cool...Nirvana's version of Where did you sleep last night is amazing. That scream at the end...good stuff. Rolf, indeed he did...Black Betty is a great song, bam ba lam! We used to sing it in class when I was in school, just to annoy the teachers...Oh, the folly of youth.

You heard of Nine Black Alps, Rolf?

Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana (Unplugged)
Jock
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Hi Jock

heard the name, haven't heard the music, what's it like?

currently playing: Bowery Electric 'Lushlife' - very noo yawky atmospherics
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

The Texans-Rams game

Thanks,
Chris
Prussian Blau

Post by Prussian Blau »

Johny Cash - Murder