What is happening to Britain?

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
statemachine
Contributor

Re: What is happening to Britain?

Post by statemachine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 pm

It wasn't any good.Here in Canada most people realise the terrible conditions the vast majority left,most of it ascribed to the potatoe crop failures.Apparently the wealthy English absentee landowners were shipping out all the grains as well?
An unbreakable man

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Apparently the wealthy English absentee landowners were shipping out all the grains as well?
That's a bit of a simplification - like saying that "Canada sends ALL its wheat out of the country" :wink: There was food to BUY - AND the government did ship maize in bulk to Ireland as bulk famine relief.

The problem was that the potato was a subsistence crop - if it failed, which it did - several times - people who relied on it to feed themselves had to buy something else. And if they're poor enough not to be able to... %E A number of major public works were started in Ireland so that people could earn money to buy food.

What people don't realise that this was a historical era before state welfare of ANY kind, except perhaps charity. ANYWHERE there was a famine - people starved. They STILL do nowadays if there's noone to help. Imagine the Far East nowadays if something happened to the rice crop....? :shock:

Nowadays WE would help - because that's the sort of thing we do :evil: organise benefits, do collections, have manic Irish rock "stars" swearing on the telly for people to give their money to help. But it doesn't cure the real problem - that in a HUGE percentage of the world people STILL rely on ONE vulnerable food staple in any given area. And lifting the phone and bending the plastic can't cure GEOGRAPHY :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds

John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin » Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 am

The difference is that the farmers in Canada own the land they farm and not paying 75% or more of their cash income as rent.
There also didn't seem to be a problem feeding the crofters in the Highlands in the same period who were just as dependant on the potato as a foodstuff.
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking » Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 am

John...except the crofter population of Scotland had already been winnowed out considerably BEFORE the beginning of the 19th century :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds

statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine » Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 am

"Winnowed out".You mean forced off the land to make way for sheep?
An unbreakable man

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking » Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 am

There also didn't seem to be a problem feeding the crofters in the Highlands in the same period who were just as dependant on the potato as a foodstuff
BTW...I wouldn't be so sure...
As in Ireland, the potato crop failed in the mid 19th century, and a widespread outbreak of cholera further weakened the Highland population. The ongoing clearance policy resulted in starvation, deaths, and a secondary clearance, when families either migrated voluntarily or were forcibly evicted. There were many deaths of children and old people. As there were few alternatives, many people emigrated, joined the British army, or moved to the growing urban cities, like Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dundee in Lowland Scotland and Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Liverpool in the north of England. In many areas people were given economic incentives to move, but few historians dispute that in many instances landlords used violent methods
The Clearances are often looked at out of context; the Wiki article brings it all nicely back into one place if I remember my high school history....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_C ... al_context

statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine » Fri May 08, 2009 3:08 pm

My grandmother from Edinburgh made certain I heard about this before the age of five. :D
An unbreakable man

Admin010

Post by Admin010 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 am

A few nations encounter a low voter turnout importance voting in a decision is directed by few individuals. Race comes about in light of such votes don't mirror the genuine will of the general population. Evidently, a decision is led on the premise of one individual one vote. Many individuals may feel that their vote can't change much. In the event that each individual felt that his/her vote does not check, would voting happen? Each individual's vote is of generous significance and affects the general decision comes about. Undermining the energy of your vote in a race ought to be not feasible.
Thanks& regards,
Angel anave
election equipment|ballot boxes

Matt Ingram

Post by Matt Ingram » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Just let the queen rule again.
Hey pal, want to know what satisfies me in life the most? You are right. It's free online gaming. I have to find sky vegas app for android. You may also check it if you want.