October 1944 - Hurtgen Forest info

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Hurtgen-Yuri

October 1944 - Hurtgen Forest info

Post by Hurtgen-Yuri »

Hi, for some research I am doing, I am looking for any information about the Raffelsbrand-Ochsenkopf area, and mainly for the period between October 6th and October 20th. I have tried to search on this forum, but there is so much information, so I wonder if anyone can help me. Is there a map with the bunkers in that area or German positions marked? Or maybe after action reports from those 2 weeks in October? Any help, or tips, would be very much appreciated.
I am researching an event that happened when the US 9th Infantry first tried to capture the German pillboxes in that area in October 1944.

Thank you.

Yuri
MadDog
Associate

Re: October 1944 - Hurtgen Forest info

Post by MadDog »

Thats a pretty specific area. While general accounts (books, FMS docs) exist on the subject, it sounds like you would want material from the US 9th infantry division. German records would be good, but I doubt they exist anymore for units in those areas. US records can be found at NARA, primarily College Park. Unfortunately, I do not know the specific identifiers.

Mad Dog