British or French Archives ?

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

MadDog
Associate

British or French Archives ?

Post by MadDog »

As I continue to scrounge for information, it occurs to me that perhaps the British or French have considerable archives of captured German war documents.

Is anyone familiar with the British or French agencies responsible for this ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Jacky
Supporter

Re: British or French Archives ?

Post by Jacky »

Hi Maddog

The National Archives are open to anyone providing you can provide proof of identity (passport, driver's licence) and proof of address (bank statement etc). They also accept requests, and give estimates, although they intend changing their system any day now. Their charges are more reasonable than the British Library. The NA is at:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

From there you can select a subject or name. They have some captured documents.

Jacky
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Jacky. Do I have to be a British citizen, or just show that I am not some random crazy guy ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Boby

Post by Boby »

Hi!

The UK National Archives have some captured german, italian and japanese documents. You cand find it in his webpage, click on "The Catalogue", and introduced the word "GFM".

Boby,
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Hi Mad Dog

If you want to visit any one is welcome. Just turn up with a passport or driving licence and a utility bill with your address on. Then they take a photo and put it on your card. A word of warning they have changed the rules recently and don't allow you to take in paper clips or pencils with rubbers on the end. Consequently, as I always go armed for a siege (which has never happened) I have a lot of broken pencils. Once you have your card you have to book your seat and order at least one document before you can enter the document area.

Enjoy your visit. I always do.

Jacky
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

There's some captured German material at Kew, but it's really randomly scattered around. You'll find a lot of it in the CAB 146 series, most of it translated.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... thod=7&j=1

Much of the original material is held by the IWM in its AL series, a mish mash of microfilm and early (very badly creased) white-on-black photocopies. It used to be held at the main museum in London, but I believe these days it's shifted to Duxford, although you can order it in advance in London.

One often overlooked archive is the Naval Historical Branch in Portsmouth which has pretty much the entire Kriegsmarine archive on microfilm, a real treasure trove and the reading room is normally empty. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Can you scan or photocopy any of this material ?

This is somewhat academic as my chance of actually getting to the British archives is unlikely soon, but it is good information for people to know.

thanks,

Mad Dog
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Hi

At Kew (the National Archives) you copy your own documents for 20 pence an A3 sheet. There are only four copiers so it gets hectic at busy times but I love it.

Jacky
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

I thought Kew allowed you to use a digital camera to copy any document you are viewing?
Jacky
Supporter

Post by Jacky »

Hi

They do. I forgot that. I never bother - I can't even work the video.

Sorry

Jacky