NARA price increase

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

richard hedrick
Supporter

NARA price increase

Post by richard hedrick »

I heard from someone at NARA today that there would be a price increase effective March 1st, has anyone else heard about this? If it does go into effect on March 1st I thought some of you might want to get in a last minute order as it is not an unsubstantial increase.

Microfilm - $85
DVD - $120

Richard
william russ
Supporter

Re: NARA price increase

Post by william russ »

Ooooooooouuuuucccccch :shock:
I hope you are wrong Richard. But we should not really be surprised. With the rising cost of everything else the NARA had to hike their prices sooner or later. I was hoping for later :wink: . I can see the microfilms going up a few dollars but the DVD $120 price is kind of outrageous.

best regards, Bill
Inquiring minds want to know.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

$120 !!!! Damn, thats quite a hike.

Mad Dog
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Westmoreland Research has confirmed the price increase, but reports DVDs will be priced at USD 125. Maybe that will stimulate people to get their orders in now if they were contemplating purchasing DVDs.

John
RaymondG

Post by RaymondG »

Personally I am not sure how any institution can actually justify a 92% price increase on a product, not even taking into account the current global economic situation.

I would have thought that reproducing rolls on DVD rather than on microfilm would actually reduce costs, both in time and raw material. There is a large initial up-front cost for the capital equipment (unless it is leased), but the cost savings generated would more than make up for that. Maybe someone has not done their sums correctly at NARA.

Please excuse me, but I am more than a little annoyed by this.

Yours, in disbelief

Raymond
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

That's an obscene hike. How can a DVD be more expensive to produce than a microfilm? I am, as we say in Blighty, not a happy bunny, not least as there are several films I need this year. :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I won't make the politically based comment I want to...

That's almost criminal. With the economy the way it is, I can see something costing a little more. The cost of reproducing DVDs, though, is so miniscule that they can charge the same amount per DVD as per roll of film, and still be ahead of the game. Charging $120 is just wrong. Where's Alfred Noyes when you need him?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
richard hedrick
Supporter

While I would agree that the increase is quite steep and I am not in favor of it i would also comment that DVD reproduction may not necessarily be cheaper at this time. NARA has been copying microfilm for decades and I am sure has that process finely tuned. DVD duplication is new to them and from my experience suffers from logistical and QA issues, this is not meant to be critical its just a fact and quite common in new processes. I don’t know what factors went into deciding the amount of the increase but it could be that in due time when the process is perfected the DVD price may once again reflect the microfilm price.

I do believe that an increase of this amount will reduce demand significantly. I will be ordering today and next week and these will be my last orders for the foreseeable future.

Richard
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have an old NARA microfilm guide number 27 from 1961 for the T-354 record group. Back then a roll of microfilm was priced by the length. Prices varied from USD 3 to $13 for a roll of microfilm. The prices of microfilm/DVDs have increased over the years by more than that of Totenkopfrings!
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Nothing's for nothing fellas! Besides no one says you have to buy these things. Are they cheaper from Freiburg?
- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Maybe if people got together and bought DVDs of rolls that multiple people wanted, it would end up being a lot cheaper.....

Mad Dog
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

NARA "makes" a fair amount from the microfilms/DVD. With the looming budget cuts coming and already in effect in my federal agency, NARA surely will be taking a major cut. I assume this hike -and I am guessing cost for other services- was desinged to help fill the gaps. Still... double?
M.Abicht
richard hedrick
Supporter

Hey Matt,

I did not realize that microfilm duplication was a cash cow for NARA, I will be more than a little disappointed if NARA is trying to cover their budget shortfalls on the backs of those of us that purchase microfilm. At any rate I think the demand will drop sharply at these prices as $120 is not an insignificant amount. I believe they have seriously misread the market if they think demand will stay steady at these rates. …then of course I could just be wrong.

Richard
Buster2

Post by Buster2 »

The price for countries outside USA are $135 for DVD and $95 for microfilm.

I was to order the these documents from Nara on DVD, SS Personalveränderungsblatt Und Verordnungsblatt 1934-1945,SS Befehlsblatt and Verordnungsblatt der Waffen SS , but that is now impossible with these prices,it is way too expensive :( :( :( :(
rommel_gaj

Post by rommel_gaj »

Buster2 wrote:The price for countries outside USA are $135 for DVD and $95 for microfilm.

I was to order the these documents from Nara on DVD, SS Personalveränderungsblatt Und Verordnungsblatt 1934-1945,SS Befehlsblatt and Verordnungsblatt der Waffen SS , but that is now impossible with these prices,it is way too expensive :( :( :( :(
Not if one orders before March 1st-right? i sincerely hope to be able to place my order before that dreaded day :(

G.