microfilm scanners

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

MadDog
Associate

microfilm scanners

Post by MadDog »

While in the process of settling up a table for shooting microfilm with a digital camera, I thought it might be worth it to try using a scanner and see if I could automate the process.

I have been trying to use a Nikon Coolscan 5000 to scan the film, but I have had no luck so far. As far as I can tell the scanner software is looking for regular perforations on the film edges (as typical 35mm camera microfilm has), or some other sort of identifier code.

Has anyone had any luck automating the shooting process using any sort of microfilm scanner ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
MadDog
Associate

Re: microfilm scanners

Post by MadDog »

For what its worth, I have been able to get my Epson Perfection 3170 to work on the film. Ignore the film or microfilm settings. They dont work. just lay the film on the bed, and use the typical picture setting. I also put a piece of office paper over the slides. Scan at 2400 DPI and the result will be a row of high-res slides you can photoedit and blow up to full page size (next down to 300 DPI when you blow them up) with a high level of detail.

Not terribly fast, but it works.

Mad Dog