transcription of archival documents

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

MadDog
Associate

transcription of archival documents

Post by MadDog »

Sorry if this is not the correct forum, but I just had another lightbulb pop up over my head.

There are tons and tons of archival documents you can get from NARA. As JPEGs, you cant really do much with them except squint at them. When these documents are rendered into searchable PDF's they become so much more useful (see my previous thread on the Dutch website KTB docs).

Now, few people have time to transcribe these as a hobby. Has anyone considered hiring a transcription service to do things like this ? I did a quick google search, and apparently there are many firms in India that offer transcription services (hopefully cheaply...).

Just a thought....

Mad Dog
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: transcription of archival documents

Post by John P. Moore »

It would certainly be great to have all of these documents available. But you have to consider the business case for such an intiative, There would be a tremendous cost and then what would the return on investment be? It's simply not there.

John
MadDog
Associate

Re: transcription of archival documents

Post by MadDog »

I think I am going to try hiring a service on a limited set. From what I have read the prices are pretty reasonable ($2/hr). I was more hoping someone might have a recommendation.

thanks,

Mad Dog