does anyone know what the legality is of............

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

mightythor99
Enthusiast

does anyone know what the legality is of............

Post by mightythor99 »

if you wanted to translate a german book into english, and publish, but probably in small amounts, with other work, like adding photos, maps, etc, what kind of legal hoops are there? like, translating one of the pali press books, etc?
what about other kinds of wwii account books, diaries, and that kind of thing?
any ideas out there?
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

In Germany the Gesetz über Urheberrecht und verwandte Schutzrechte takes effect.

Link: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesetz_%C3 ... hutzrechte

@{

Knox
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

too technical reading for my german.............what is the basic of all of that?
thanks!
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

if you wanted to translate a german book into english...
Sorry, but if you are not able, to read this german law in the above link, forget about "translating" german books into english language.

"Copyright" is the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Good luck! @{

Knox
mightythor99
Enthusiast

he he

Post by mightythor99 »

that was very technical german, i know what copywrite is.
i have original diaries, written in the field, from different soldiers, which i can translate. they have not been copywrited, and i own the only copy, and they have never been printed.
but, what i would be interested in doing, is translating them, and combining that with a unit history which has been published, and would combine in photos from the same unit, in some cases, "his" photos.
that's the nuts and bolts of the idea....
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

Thor, publishing the Feldpost letters is a very nice concept, but stay away from former printed works from Germany, unless you are very wealthy, and you also know a good attorney...

Feldpost letters, and diaries are not copyrighted, as far as I know, but I am not 100% sure.

Knox
mightythor99
Enthusiast

i figured as much.....................

Post by mightythor99 »

i was not talking about exact reproduction, but the facts and figures are what are really needed to make the understanding of a work/feld post grouping/diary, etc.
i have several really good feld post groupings, definitely worth publication.
one is from a high level bishop, writing to his wife, from russian front, from june 22, '41, til he was transfered to france in late '42. he had 30+ priests underneath him. he writes letters back and forth with fedeor von boch, and others..............interesting reading.
happy historyin'!
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

Thor, you may like to post your question in the german Forum der Wehrmacht

Link: http://forum-der-wehrmacht.de/index.php

Ask in english language, no problem, there are several experts, appertaining to the german Feldpost, and also diaries from the WWII.

Knox
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

Thor - you can extract information from published sources but don't extract text without making it a sourced quote.

Your idea is fine, but if you make it look like you cut and pasted parts from another book, then you will shoot yourself in the foot.

It's not necessary anyway. Build your own framework from the information available. It doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to give the diaries some context.
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

In my collection is a handwritten diary, the officer Herr Frido B. , serving on the eastern front, the man wrote fairy tales, for his four children, and these fairy tales were sent back home by Feldpost.

His many words are heartbreaking, his very own fairy tales are wonderful.

The fairy tales from Frido B. were printed in the early 1960s, 50 prints at all, I own one copy, which Frido B. gave to my grandfather.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

wow!

Post by mightythor99 »

so you have the original manuscript, AND one of the published books! neat!
one very lucky thing for us, as collectors and enthusiasts in wwii history, is that so many of the people who fought in it could read and write, and take photographs.
a diary was found here (in the US) that totally changed history for the state of Texas a few years ago, it was from a mexican officer who was at the Alamo, which had davie crockett, (a very famous frontier man, like daniel boone, in case you dont know who he was/is), and all the americans fought to the death there.
well, the diary says that they surrendered, and the mexican general in charge, put them all against the wall, and shot them. just think how many people were there, and how the story changed, and no one knew it for 150+ years.....................and Texans would fight you for saying anything bad about the Alamo. it's institutional level history for them. every kid learns that story there,...........as well as the rest of the United States all through school.
that's why i love photos and diaries so much. because they were written, or photos taken, from someone that was "there", doing whatever their job was at that time.
:up: :up:

"REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!"
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi MT99,

I was told at the British Library some years ago that there was no copyright on official Nazi publications, documentation etc. Otherwise EU copyright is for 70 years. However, I don't know whether the Nazi era exception applies to private material. I very much doubt it.

Cheers,

Sid.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

thanks sid!

Post by mightythor99 »

i'm not wanting to rip anyone off.................just looking for angles to make what i have,...........worth reading and learning for others out there. it's hard to get regimental, or divisional info, without using a german unit history, most written years ago.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi MT99,

Any post-war German military histories are subject to EU copyright law for 70 years. Any wartime ones are probably exempt.

Cheers,

Sid.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

i do have a few wartime ones.........

Post by mightythor99 »

but most of them are post war, of course. thanks to all who responded. maybe i'll end up having something worth "selling/reading"!
:[] :[] :up: