German situation maps on this site

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Jason Long
Contributor

Security unit OBs

Post by Jason Long »

I've just received my CDs for the Battle of Kiev and the miscellaneous OBs. Most of the scans are excellent and are legible at very high levels of magnification. Unfortunately that isn't true of the security unit OBs where the 72 dpi scan prevents me from reading the unit IDs on the charts. I'm working on a listing of all the various security units, similiar to those on Panzerkeil, and would really like to be able to incorporate this data with confidence that I'm not mistaking the 863rd Sich.Btl. for the 368th. Scans at 150 or 300 dpi should be enough to ensure legibility.

Jason
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Jason-

I know that the OB charts dont look as good as the rest of the maps. I am not sure why they scanned in so poorly, but as there are only a few of them, I think I will try and redo them in the near term. I will keep everyone posted on this. Thanks.

Matt
M.Abicht
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Matt,
That would be great! Thanks in advance.

Jason
Joschi

Re: German situation maps on this site

Post by Joschi »

did you make maps from the HEERESGRUPPE NORD ??
i found some by gutenberg-e.org, but not sooo good in the quality,.

thx

Joschi
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

There aren't any sets specific to AG Nord (some AG Kurland ones) but there is a special map book that AG Nord made covering 1943. It coveres many aspects and is one of the best map sets I have come across. It is held in various places, 1 book at NARA (they dont allow book scanning), 1 microfilm copy at NARA (poor), and another one at the Library of Congress. The one at the LOC I am working on scanning now. I hope to have that one done in a month or so.
M.Abicht
grimme

Post by grimme »

Congratulation to your amazing work. I received the Charkow - maps and I was overwhelmed. That was better than I expected.

With respect to exhaustive list presented by Abicht at the start of this thread (May19th, 07) on the Military Situation Eastern Theater-maps: How is the situation on maps of the Stalingrad cauldron or maps of the Heeresgruppe Don for that time. Is there any material vailable ?

regards
grimme
John Nelson

Panzerlagen on Situation Maps

Post by John Nelson »

I have been following this thread for a while, and I have a question.
On the gutenberg-e.org site several of the maps have an attached piece of paper on the side that shows either an OB or a Panzerlagen (tank strength).
Will these DVD scan have these extras, when they appear on the situ maps?

John Nelson
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

John-

Few - less then 15% of the maps have the paper attachments to the maps, but yes when they are present I always scan them in, and will continue to do so as they are a key part of that days map/Lage.
M.Abicht
John Nelson

Post by John Nelson »

Thank you,
Do you know off-hand at which date did these maps have the Pz.Lagen attached? How often, daily? every 5 days? Is it only certain Fronts, i.e. Kurland, Weichel etc.

Panzerjaeger Horridoh!

John Nelson
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

John-

It appears random, no set time frame or patterm. Sometimes it is every few days, other months apart. I have seen them on many sets... Africa, West, East, and smaller sets in the Balkans/SE Europe.
M.Abicht
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

Hi all!
I`m searching Charkow May 42, Kalatsch August 42 and Stalingrad Sept - Nov 42. What should I do?
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Finally... new maps... and most cover either the Normandy Invasion or Anti-Partisan operations in the Balkans. A total of 173 new maps. I dont know how I will break them down, but in another couple days I hope to have that done. I hope there is interest in the Normany maps! Also I have about 30 new "Ost City Maps" so I will likely make a second set.

Here is a general breakdown of the maps-

5 Maps related to the attack on Cherbourg
22 Maps related to the anti-partisan operation "Weiss I and II" in the Balkans
1 Map related to the anti-partisan operation "Leopard" in the Balkans
19 Maps and overlays used in planning operation "Blau"
4 Maps related to the anti-partisan operation "Kugelblitz" in the Balkans
1 Map related to the anti-partisan operation "Panther" in the Balkans
2 Maps related to the anti-partisan operation "Seepferd" in Greece
4 Maps related to early 1944 strategic planning for possible Allied invasions in the West
79 1:200,000 scale maps from 7 June to 9 Aug 1944 related to the Allied invasion of Normandy
14 Maps and 5 text document related to German air attacks and both Allied and German air and shipping loses against the Normandy beachhead 6-20 June 1944
22 1:50,000 scale maps showing the battle around Caen (yes plenty of SS annotations), also some relating to the LXXXIV A.K., and battles West of Cherbourg
M.Abicht
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Fantastic news, we should have these new maps posted and available for purchase ASAP!

I also believe there should be some special holiday pricing in order as well.
Rich
Associate

Post by Rich »

Abicht wrote:5 Maps related to the attack on Cherbourg
4 Maps related to early 1944 strategic planning for possible Allied invasions in the West
79 1:200,000 scale maps from 7 June to 9 Aug 1944 related to the Allied invasion of Normandy
14 Maps and 5 text document related to German air attacks and both Allied and German air and shipping loses against the Normandy beachhead 6-20 June 1944
22 1:50,000 scale maps showing the battle around Caen (yes plenty of SS annotations), also some relating to the LXXXIV A.K., and battles West of Cherbourg
[whisperyvoice] We wants them my Preciouss, Yess! We must have them my Preciouss! Evil Bagginses musn't keep them my Preciouss! [/whisperyvoice]
:D
GaryD
Supporter

Post by GaryD »

Rich wrote:
Abicht wrote:5 Maps related to the attack on Cherbourg
[whisperyvoice] We wants them my Preciouss, Yess! We must have them my Preciouss! Evil Bagginses musn't keep them my Preciouss! [/whisperyvoice]
:D

Some people crave a new Ferrari; we're just happy with dusty pieces of colored paper! @{