German situation maps on this site

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Gregory Deych

Post by Gregory Deych »

I think it would be a terrific idea. As far as the organization of maps goes, I don't think the two idea (geographical or chronological snapshot) are exclusive. Once the maps are copied, they can be sliced and diced any way necessary - including selling individual maps, if there is enough interest in that.
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

I mailed a DVD with the first 191 maps to Jason today, so if all goes right it wont be long before they can be downloaded. The map series include Finland 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, Locations of units and strength of the Brandenburg Division over a 13 month period over all of Europe, North and Northwest (these were maps made of the remaining German unit locations and strengths, and areas they were to move to after the surrender... very interesting that the OKW was still functioning in the few weeks after the war!).
M.Abicht
MadDog
Associate

yes

Post by MadDog »

This would be an outstanding resource. I really wish I could go to the archives, but I cant take the time to get up to DC. Color me interested.

When you scan these maps, are you able to scan at a high enough DPI to allow for clear reading of the text on the maps ?

thanks,

Tom
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

I scanned the maps in at 600 DPI, which so far make everything readable, I would not do it less as it would not be worth while to folks. I would do it higher, but it would take so long to scan in one map (out of 5,000 plus), and downloading them would take a long time in groups. I think the 191 maps I sent Jason (compressed) were 1.5 GIGs.
M.Abicht
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Abicht wrote:I mailed a DVD with the first 191 maps to Jason today, so if all goes right it wont be long before they can be downloaded.
So, what's the storage capacity of a DVD? I'm asking not to be smart, but I'm just trying to understand the whole process. How many of those maps will fit on a CD?

I understand that we'll be able to download maps from here, I was just trying to think long-range.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

The DVD I sent had a capacity of about 4 GIGs. I only had 191 maps done and wanted to get the process rolling. Hopefully every 2ish week I can get another batch to Jason, but we need to see how this goes the first time, with uploading them, purchasing them and downloading. I will be able to send out hardcopy CDs or DVDs for completed maps as well.
M.Abicht
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

So noted!

Looking forward to it!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Excellant,

Can not wait to get my hands on these.

Hey Tom, give mee a call when you get a chance, maybe we can get together again

Mike
YXK

Post by YXK »

It's a brilliant idea. I am in. Let me know what you have for Eastern Front(South) as well as N. Africa.
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

:D I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa to come down the chimney ..................... drool !!! :D

Anybody else ?? :D
Signed: "The Shadow"
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Double Drool!! :beer: :beer:
Thanks. Dave.
Rokka

Post by Rokka »

I will definitely buy these. Excellent job! :up:
konev2007

Post by konev2007 »

If I'm reading the news correctly, the latest we have is from May 31st when the first CD was mailed Abicht to Jason.

Is there anything new?

Regards,

konev
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Jason was out of town this week but he said he got the CD and will get something up soon. That was about 200 maps sent to him, and I scanned in another 100 this past week (not yet sent) (set includes series of Serbia, Balkans, Slovakia, Hungary, Syrmia, Crete, Corfu, Brac, Istria, and Belgrad. Slowly but surely we will get these up!
M.Abicht
Charlie645
Supporter

Maps are the Holy Grail

Post by Charlie645 »

This is a very exciting development, and I will certainly be making purchases. I live in the wrong Washington, 2,500 miles away from NARA, so this will be a wonderful resource. Thanks for what I'm sure is sometimes very tedious work.

Charlie645