Rebuttal to Myth of the Eastern Front is forthcoming...

A place to relocate messages and threads that should be deleted.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Rebuttal to Myth of the Eastern Front is forthcoming...

Post by Jason Pipes »

Just an FYI to those waiting to read my rebuttal to the book Myth of the Eastern Front - I plan to finish up as much of it as I can over this long holiday weekend and get it posted ASAP.
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

Any news on when we can expect to read this rebuttal?
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Soon. After the server upgrade, site transfer, and forum update are complete I should have time to wrap it up and get it published.
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

Thank you for the reply and best wishes for the future success of the Forum.
Cott Tiger
Associate

Re: Rebuttal to Myth of the Eastern Front is forthcoming...

Post by Cott Tiger »

Has Jason issued his rebuttal yet guys?

I haven''t been on the forum much lately and wondered if I'd missed it.

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Cott Tiger wrote:Has Jason issued his rebuttal yet guys?

I haven''t been on the forum much lately and wondered if I'd missed it.

Regards,

André
Anyone?

Regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Andre,

I haven't seen any informed rebuttals of this book, largely because very few have read it.

The nearest to points of fact established against it seem to be errors with regard to Jason's past connections and Munoz's family background, neither of which undermine the substance of the book.

My opinion on the book is at the top of this thread, so I won't repeat myself except to say that it seems at the moment its arguments seem to hold the field by default in the absence of the sort of rebuttal you are asking about.

Sid.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Sid - You already repeated yourself by having just made that last post of yours. Why do you keep dredging up your old position that few, if anyone, has agreed with?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi John,

I didn't dredge anything up. I was replying to another poster whose previous efforts had gone unanswered for several months. Given that the administration of which you are a part promised such a rebuttal, I rather think you might be better advised to look to yourselves.

As for repetition, the facts always bear repeating, and I note that you aren't actually disputing the content of what I wrote.

The fact that a good number of the people who didn't agree with me on this subject haven't actually read the book under discussion rather undermines your proposition that weight of numbers should lead me to self censor.

Surely, rather than having a go at me for my first open thread intervention on this subject in four months, you would be better advised to approach all those offering opinions without having actually read the book in question?

In my opinion, Feldgrau is taking entirely the wrong tactic. Instead of promising a rebuttal that it never delivers, which only tends to give The Myth of the Eastern Front unearned credibility, it would be better advised to just say, "Yeah, many of us are differentially interested in certain narrow military aspects of the German armed forces in WWII and probably over romanticise the nobility of combat. But hey, we DO acknowledge the enormity of the so-called Holocaust and the behaviour of parts of the Whermacht on occasion in the East, it's just that this just doesn't happen to be our area of particular interest so we don't follow it up with the same diligence. What is your point?" That is certainly my personal position.

Cheers,

Sid.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Sid, I don't appreciate your tone.

I promised I would provide a rebuttal and I will do so once the rebuttal has been properly vetted by both of the authors of the book and the publishing company that published it. Things have changed dramatically in the time since I first posted my comments above. To that end I have been in communication with both professors and their editor. I have also been in contact with my lawyer about the legal ramifications of content published in the book. Outside of my concerns there are at least two other groups looking at legal action due to copyright infringement in the book. Because of these issues a lengthy and detailed rebuttal has been delayed, for obvious reasons. Until I get a full response from the authors and consult with my lawyer I can't comment in great detail. That said I will be providing a brief overview of what is at issue in the book in the near future, much of which has already been mentioned before. There are dozens of factual errors included that could have easily been checked but weren't, and some are rather serious.

That said you have NO basis to attack myself or this site or the moderators regarding the book. Consider this a warning, do not slander myself, this site, or the moderators over the issue of this book.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Jason,

"Slander"? Slander has to be untrue. What have I written above that is untrue?

YOU promised a rebuttal for the "long holiday weekend" at the turn of the year and to get it posted "ASAP". It didn't happen.

In February, it was "soon". It didn't happen.

Cott Tiger asked about progress in April and May but wasn't even given the courtesy of a reply.

Not only have we yet to see a rebuttlal, we haven't even been kept regularly informed on progress.

Of course people are going to wonder what the delay is.

And remember, in my less than fully supportive review of Myth of the Eastern Front in December I specifically left the way open for you to rebut the aspects relating directly to you.

We are not crowding you. We just want to know what is going on.

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Sid, you've just been told. And unless you're an interested party to the legal case, I would wonder at your use of the word "We"...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo,

The first inkling on this thread that there is a legal case came in Jason's post of yesterday.

None of the points in my last post relate to the book or any court case on copyright matters, but to the fog of ignorance we have been kept in.

If we had been told earlier on this thread that the matter was sub judice, then this exchange would have been unnecessary.

Why "we"? Because more than one of us have asked about this.

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Sid - actually my point is that you, I and EVERYONE not mentioned in the book...are essentially spectators in this. I don't believe Jason has any obligation to keep us informed, he does what he does - to a lesser or greater degree - at his own discretion. Jason actually posted elsewhere on this forum on one of the several threads opened on this subject that the matter was under legal discussion some time ago - and I do not believe he posted anything to say that position had changed?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo,

I agree that Jason has no absolute obligation to keep us informed.

However, by the same token, I would suggest that, having started this thread himself, he cannot reasonably get indignant when posters ask what is going on.

Cheers,

Sid.