...on the National Elf!

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
phylo_roadking
Patron

...on the National Elf!

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, along with several others I've been volunteered to throw together a DBA-sized army for an upcoming weekend-length campaign/tournament....unfortunately Fantasy-based! Now, while I have a LARGE collection of miniatures - not just for D&D, Runequest etc., but also fantasy wargaming from some thirty years ago - I am limited in numbers of what I WANT to field.

Hence the appeal...reading that a LOT of you were roleplayers in other, more rose-tinted days of wine and song....

Does anyone remember the "Minifigs" "Dragons And Dungeons" range that appeared in 1977-78, and came into their catalog right after their original "Mythical Earth" range??? These were frighteningly expensive - but in those days apart from the first Heritage ranges, and the old Garrison "Hyboria" range it was ALL there was 'til Ral Partha etc appeared. There were High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Kobolds, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs and Gnolls.....

Silly me volunteered for the High Elves, as I've ended up over the years with an amazing twenty of these rare figures....but need another few more for the full DBA-sized force. Does anyone have ANY of these High Elves they'd be willing to sell? They'll go to a treasured and treasuring home!

(God damn you to a slow and painful death, Peter Jackson - I could have just brushed the dust off my old Aquilonian battle line once more....)
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Hence the appeal...reading that a LOT of you were roleplayers in other, more rose-tinted days of wine and song....

Does anyone remember the "Minifigs" "Dragons And Dungeons" range that appeared in 1977-78, and came into their catalog right after their original "Mythical Earth" range??? These were frighteningly expensive - but in those days apart from the first Heritage ranges, and the old Garrison "Hyboria" range it was ALL there was 'til Ral Partha etc appeared. There were High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Kobolds, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs and Gnolls.....
What a trip down memory lane!

Stupidly ditched all my 25mm fantasy figures about 12 years ago. :down: :( :oops: :? :down:
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ditched as in....ditched? :?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

'Ditched' as in cleared out and threw away, to my eternal regret. :(
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

...am in tears....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I should of course point out - THIS was the period BEFORE "Minifigs" meant lumps of poxy Lego.....!
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo.

Yup. I was a "serious" wargamer in those days and despised D&D. However, at Chistmas we used to have a role-playing quest, for which I bought a Minifigs goblin (named Murgatroyd) riding a warg and a thief named Rhesus Thrungesprocket.

Somewhere I still have Murgatroyd, his mount and a piece of decaying bluetack that keep them stuck together.

However, at university in the mid '80s I gave Rhesus to an American student friend who was a major Dungeon Master in the USA and he lives on to this day amongst his cast of characters. (The American concerned is now a professor of politics at the University of Moscow in Idaho and probably wouldn't thank me for advertising this element of his past.)

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

LOL in that ENTIRE "Mythical Earth" range, those little Goblins in their hoods and wicker shields were the best! Something about them more closely matched the "feeling" of the books than all the rest.

Then again - I'm weird in that I prefer the cartoon version to Jackson's Epic....somehow it feels more....English?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo,

I can't go with you on the last bit. The 1970s cartoon was dire in my opinion. Only computer graphics have allowed film to match Tolkien's and his readers' imaginations.

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Dire as a film yes - I didn't say it was better lol - but its the overall impression. The actors who voiced-over, etc., gave it a sort of "Bright Eyes"- English cartoon feel. Jackson's films are tremendous - as entertainment...but I never liked Alan Lee's visualisations of Tolkien's world. And those have dragged the films off in one direction, almost at a cost to the reader's imagination, and resulted in a mid-Atlantic-newsreader's-accent epic...whereas JRRT was aiming for a particularly English mythology.
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

The Jackson films were awful, in all but one respect. And that was that they did introduce some new readers to the book(s). I think only Tolkein himself, (or perhaps Speilberg) could have done the book(s) any justice.
Thanks. Dave.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I think only Tolkein himself, (or perhaps Speilberg) could have done the book(s) any justice.
Having sat through The 13th Warrior and Kingdom Of Heaven many times, I'm not sure Ridley Scott mightn't have produced something suitable...
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

I've got quite a few, including 10 of what I think are your High Elves, all from '79-80. Not for sale though, but a loan could be on the cards if that's any use. PM me and I'll send you pics, to check if they're what you want.
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Woo! Ebay just came up trumps with another whole SIX! :D now, anyone have any more for sale???