Aliens?

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
Commissar D, the Evil

Aliens?

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Okay, I know I'm waaaay off-topic, but does anyone remember the "Aliens" wargame by Leading Edge? Any information is appreciated. Any interesting sites on it?

Very Best,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Wow, WWII German related how? @{

Leading Edge was also the publisher of one of my favorite modern RPG combat systems - Phoenix Command. Debate has it that it's almost unplayable but the sheer detail in the system is a beautiful thing to behold. Swinging back ontopic, they used this system to create a series of ultra, ultra detailed RPG/wargame/minis crossover rules using their base combat system as the foundation and published numerous WWII German supplmental books on tanks, anti-tank guns, and more.

As for Aliens, here is what I could find.

I have a fair amount of detail on all the supplments, rules and modules released in a handbook I use to detail RPGs. I can provide that data to you offline if you like.

Also:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/leadin ... liens.html
http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3783
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/urbanbuda/docs/aliens/
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Not entirely on topic, but I used to play Twilight:2000. One of their weapons handbooks had some WWII weapons in it. I often thought of trying to convert their system from WWIII back to WWII. Lord knows, there would be plenty of fodder for campaigns and scenarios!!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Commissar D, the Evil

Thanks Guys for indulging me! Yes Jason, I really, honestly knew that it was VERY off-topic, but, my middle son gave me an "Aliens" Christmas present!

Tom, I have three booklets on the "Twilight 2000" game--give me a holler if you'd like any of them!

Jason, thanks again for the links and please pardon my going off-topic! Rum and Coca-Cola is more dangerous than an Alien Queen......

HAIL THE COLONIAL MARINES!!!

Very Best,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Tom, I have three booklets on the "Twilight 2000" game--give me a holler if you'd like any of them!
I have several, which ones do you have?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Commissar D, the Evil

Oh Tom, thou Evil person--that sent me diggin into my attic!!!!!

I have "U.S. Army Vehicle Guide", number 504 and "Soviet Vehicle Guide" number 514. I also have a cpy of "Challenge Magazine", Number 35, that contains an article on Twilight 2000 "City Maker". Lots of grids in this one but I don't know how useful....

Best,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'll have to go look for mine. At least I know exactly where they are!

I wonder how you'd figure out armor values in that system for WWII vehicles and weapons? Hmmm....... A new Forum Heroes line of RPGs? :shock:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Commissar D, the Evil

A new Forum Heroes line of RPGs?
Oh, forget it Tom, these wargaming rules were always too much for me!

I'll tell you a secret--it was alwys the fgures that appealed to me. While looking for the Twilight 2000 booklets, I ran across some old Ral Partha catalogs and, truthe be told, the "aliens" question came up because I received a gift and rummaged through some very old boxes to find the other figures!

Damn, I actuallly have two entire American Civil War armies in unpainted 15mm, down to Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant. I think I've been collecting for far too long......

Very Best,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:I think I've been collecting for far too long......
Only if those figures are actually signed by Grant and Lee! :shock: :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I have a stash of Twilight: 2000 by GDW as well. There was a 1st and 2nd edition of the game and rules. The art in it was always considered hands-down some of the best in the RPG field. They did take the system and bend and use it for modern special operations missions and real world operations not in a post-WWIII world, those two systems were called Twilight: 2000, Merc and Twilight: 2000, Special Operations. Great stuff! If you don't want the books from David I'll gladly take them. :beer:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Never played Twilight, but was a BIG Traveller fan from GDW, back in the dim and distant; chimed better with the thousands of scifi paperbacks cramming my shelves lol
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I have some of the Merc stuff, but I loaned the rulebook to someone, and never got it back. Interesting scenarios in it. I even made up a T:2K scenario, but for some reason, they never published it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Jason Pipes wrote:Wow, WWII German related how? @{
well its not German related. But the WWII reference comes in if one compares Alien with Objective Burma! (1946) starring Erroll Flynn. There are so many elements reproduced in Aliens, already seen in Objective Burma! that I think Cameron should have credited Objective Burma! for inspiration.

as a side note. Cameron admitted that Aliens had strong references to the Vietnam war, Hightech marines being defeated by lowtech enemy who cares little for own losses...

Anyway it was farfetched....
HAIL THE COLONIAL MARINES!!!
"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps! " - sgt. Apone

Regards
David
Commissar D, the Evil

"Hey Vasquez, has anyone ever mistaken you for a man?" Pvt. Hudson.
"No, have they ever mistaken you for a man"? Pvt. Vasquez.

Gotta Love the Movie.... :up: :up: :up:

Best,
~D, the EviL
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

"We're F**cked!" , Hudson.

"Affirmative...", Newt

An alltime favorite of mine.

"Wake up Hicks - you're spoiling it for the rest of us."

cheers
Reb