World War 1

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Hans
Associate

World War 1

Post by Hans »

Jason I know I'm not posting this in the right place, but I'm not sure where it's supposed to go. Perhaps you can put it where it should be.

I'm about to embark on a new project. Both my grandfathers served in the German Army in WWI. Where is a good starting point to find their military histories? For a start all I have is names and birthdays so there's a long and hopefully exciting way to go. Can any one start me off. Thanks in advance.
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Kapuziner
Supporter

WW I

Post by Kapuziner »

First of all, there had been no "German Army" in the WW I. There have been different Armys depending to there Land. P.e. the Royal Bavarian, the Royal Prussian, the Royal Würtemberg a.s.o. Therefore it would be the best, to discover where Your Grandfathers come from - city and land. In these days, the boys had to serve 12, 18 or 24 month, depending of the duty. (Infantry, Cavallery or Navy); Navy by the way, was the only military part which was Imperial, even in peacetime under Imperial Command.
If these circumstances are cleared, You may ask again in the web or write to the Major-Office of the relevant cities. Good luck - Servus
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Thanks Kapuziner. Grandfathers would have served in Bavarian units. Both came from Nurnberg.
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Browsing this very good site could help you: http://www.worldwar1.com/

B
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Hans!

Here's a Wikipedia link to the "Liste der bayerischen Militärverbände". The Standort for most of the Brigades and Regiments are there, including several in Nürnberg. Maybe it will help you search in the right regimental direction?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_ ... b%C3%A4nde

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Thanks Krollspell. I was just about to post another enquiry when your message arrived. Alas the 2nd Bavarian Reserve Inf. Regt., 1 B.I.D is not yet described, apart from the fact that it was a Munchen unit.

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID