UK's German war dead cemetery and German POWs on Raasay

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

alan newark
Supporter

UK's German war dead cemetery and German POWs on Raasay

Post by alan newark »

Dear All

A url ref a Glasgow Sunday Herald article about (i) the UK's little known national cemetery for WWI and WWII German combatants, internees and (?) POWs and (ii) the poignant story of how Scottish islanders on Raasay helped WWI German POWs.

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/v ... 29ba0b22eb

Besten

Alan Newark:->
http://www.dpcamps.org
http://www.1945.lighthouselane.co.uk
www.dpcamps.org (1st Vice-President)
alan newark
Supporter

Re: UK's German war dead cemetery and German POWs on Raasay

Post by alan newark »

Dear Mod and fellow troops

Is the below message any way to treat a fellow user's sncerely meant interest and offer of help?

I think not?

Al.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quote This could be the basis of a good...
by L. Kafka on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:12 am

...historic theme dirty joke. I might have to work on it.

"n the end, everything will be okay. If everything isn't okay, it's not the end." Graffiti seen in the DMZ Bar. Hue, Vietnam 2002
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Alan-I would think not-but thank you for the interesting link,also the two below your name.It is nice to see the war dead treated with respect after all these years. ---bil
alan newark
Supporter

Post by alan newark »

Dear Bil

Thank you for your welcome and supportive message and for its comments about the various urls I mentioned.

Our kamerad with the dark sense of humour was likely referring not to the Raasay and Cannock Chase graves of German soldiers but to my suggestion that Feldgrau would benefit from a POWs forum and to my offer to Moderate such a forum..if only until someone better qualified volunteered to do so.

I have many parallel WWII interests and have long argued that POWs and their many varied experiences have been sidelined in favour of the more attractive combat and Home Front sectors.

There is a thriving book market on the subject of POWs, of all modern wars, but that interest is not well catered for on the various general topics' research forums.

Meantime, I live in hope:-> Thank you for your encouragement..Btw..What are your personal areas of interest?

Al:->
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Almost any historic information I can find,but most of all the personal impressions of the people actually involved.This covers a lot of territory,but the forgotten stories like the one above really interest me.Everyone knows the big famous battles and personalities,but the stories of the regular person that is swept up in events is what I like.It may be history to us,to them it was their life,much as our own life that we take for granted will some day be history.I for one try to make it interesting enough that I will be remembered for a while.Here in New England there were several POW camps,in Maine,that have all but dissapeared.From the new to the old-I was also fortunate enough to be on a film crew that went to the Roman catacombs for National Geographic,so almost 2000 years of history to think about! ---bil
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Awesome link and story. Thanks!
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

These are two files I rented, both based on true stories. The First is about the Christmas truce when Germans, Scots and French troops put thier arms aside to celebrate Christmas.

Joyeux Noel 2005

British, French and German soldiers lay down their rifles and celebrate Christmas together between their trenches in a moving French film released this month, which also marks the anniversary of the 1918 Armistice.

"Joyeux Noel" (Merry Christmas) -- a joint German, British, Belgian, French and Romanian production directed by Christian Caron -- covers a 24-hour festive truce made by three lieutenants who meet in no-man's land, depicting the historical Christmas truce of 1914, which saw thousands of British and German troops on the Western Front temporarily lay down their arms and meet to exchange gifts and shake hands.

The Frenchman Audebert (played by William Canet), the Scotsman Gordon (Alex Ferns) and the German Horst Mayer (Daniel Brühl) lead their men in laying down their rifles after four months of fighting that saw hundreds of thousands killed

A Prussian soldier sings "Silent Night" in response to the music of the bagpipes as enemy troops exchange chocolates, champagne and liquor. A Scottish chaplain (Palmer, played by Gary Lewis) leads prayers, and the troops hold a friendly football match -- as British and German troops are reported to have done in 1914.

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me (2001)

Directed by: Hardy Martins

The true story of a German soldier's long and difficult journey home after being sentenced to a Russian prison camp inspired this wartime epic. In 1944, Clemens Forell (Bernhard Bettermann) leaves behind his wife and children and joins the German army, where he is sent to fight along the Russian front. After a year in the trenches, Forell is captured by Soviet forces and is sentenced to spend 25 years at hard labor, mining lead. Predictably enough, the mine proves to be a dangerous and dispiriting environment, and after three years Forell decides he can stand no more and blocks out an escape plan. Forell makes his break during the dead of winter, and while he's at first discovered by a group of hunters who intend to turn him back in, a band of Eskimos come to his rescue. Forell throws in his lot with them, eventually falling in love with the lovely granddaughter (Irina Pantayeva) of the Eskimo chieftain. After a few seasons with the Eskimos, Forell resumes his journey back home, narrowly escaping capture in Siberia and finding an unexpected ally as he tries to cross into Iran. So Weit Die Fuesse Tragen was adapted from a best-selling German novel based on an actual incident; the novel was also the basis for a popular German television series of the late '50s. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

"Joyeux Noel 2005

British, French and German soldiers lay down their rifles and celebrate Christmas together between their trenches in a moving French film released this month, which also marks the anniversary of the 1918 Armistice.

"Joyeux Noel" (Merry Christmas) -- a joint German, British, Belgian, French and Romanian production directed by Christian Caron -- covers a 24-hour festive truce made by three lieutenants who meet in no-man's land, depicting the historical Christmas truce of 1914, which saw thousands of British and German troops on the Western Front temporarily lay down their arms and meet to exchange gifts and shake hands.

The Frenchman Audebert (played by William Canet), the Scotsman Gordon (Alex Ferns) and the German Horst Mayer (Daniel Brühl) lead their men in laying down their rifles after four months of fighting that saw hundreds of thousands killed

A Prussian soldier sings "Silent Night" in response to the music of the bagpipes as enemy troops exchange chocolates, champagne and liquor. A Scottish chaplain (Palmer, played by Gary Lewis) leads prayers, and the troops hold a friendly football match -- as British and German troops are reported to have done in 1914.
Sincerely yours,
PA.Dutchman