USA tropps in Russia 1918

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Henrik Andersson
Supporter

USA tropps in Russia 1918

Post by Henrik Andersson »

USA send military ti Russia summer of 1918. USA try to help the white side in the civil war. Even UK and Franche send soldiers.
Have someone more info?
Fight us-soldiers against red army?
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Re: USA troops in Russia 1918

Post by John Kilmartin »

Hi Henrik,
I am most familiar with the intervention along the Siberian Railway this comprised a brigade of British and Canadians, French troops mainly from their colonies in Indo-China, Americans and over 100, 000 Japanese. The reason for this particular intervention was two fold firstly like the other interventions to secure the military stores sent to support the Czarist government in fighting the Germans and secondly to allow the egress of the Czech Legion from Russia. There is a book by Roy MacLaren on the subject from the Canadian viewpoint (this was the first time that a major unit that included British soldiers was commanded by a Canadian general). There is an article on this intervention particularly from the US involvement in Military History Quarterly.
There are also articles in Military History Quarterly about the US involvement in the operations in and around both Murmansk and Archangel. I'm not really sure if the US was particularly involved in the operations in the south, which from what I've read consisted mainly of air support for White Russian forces. Some of the techniques developed for the rapid movement of these air units, including their ground support elements, were quite revolutionary at the time.
The fourth area of operations of interventionist forces, namely the Baltic States, is something that I know almost nothing about even though it has been written about fairly extensively. If you look around the forum you may be able to find some useful information on the subject. The only title that comes to mind is Cowan's War.
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Re: USA tropps in Russia 1918

Post by John Kilmartin »

That last title is by Geoffrey Bennett. There is also another called Baltic episode / Captain Augustus Agar VC .
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Henrik Andersson
Supporter

Post by Henrik Andersson »

Thanks fore information!
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Henrik:
There are some very good accounts of US involvement in Russia following World War I, in the book DOUGHBOYS: America and the First World War by Gary Mead. In the Russian far-east, US troops actually sympathized with the Russian peasants against the Japanese, who were operating in the same area. The Japanese were not particularly kind occupiers at that time, and tension ran high between Japanese and US troops. I hope this helps. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

i know one of the british regiments sent to northern Russia was the Hampshire regiment, if i remember correctly they were stationed at Archangel. The British government were concerned that important Ward material sent to aide the Czarist army would fall into bolshevik hands or sold onto the central powers after Brest Litovsk. The port had to be kept open.
As for Captain Agar, he recieved his VC for sinking a Soviet cruiser in Krondstadt with an MTB and a further DSO for a similiar act.
There was support for monarchist or at least republican movements in Russia. Kolchak and Denikin were both backed by Britain and the US where as Iudenich was backed by the Finns but neither were backed with a full Military or serious Allied planning.
The Western Allied involvement in Russia was curtailed quickly as the nations were themselves war weary and it was hard to explain to the populous' back home as to why their sons and brothers had to fight another war against a nation which had shown no agression towards Britain and up until 1917 been an ally. Ontop of that i think lloyd george was looking at the 1921 election when he pulled the boys out in 1920.
If i remember correctly the Japanese were the last to leave Siberia.

Cheers
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

there is a museum, in michigan, i think it is in frankenmouth, dedicated to the siberian expedition. you might be able to find them on line somewhere.
here is some infor for you!
http://pages.prodigy.net/mvgrobbel/phot ... rlinks.htm
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

Another book-The Ignorant Armies-by E.M.Halliday printed by Bantam 1990.Foreword by S.L.A.Marshall.I haven't finished it yet,nor had a chance to cross-referance facts. ---bil
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

just saw this on ebay, thought someone might be interested!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diary-of-339th-Offi ... 7C294%3A50
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Post by mightythor99 »

here's a unit history, very hard to find one, on the 332nd, they went to russia......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26ps%3D41