427 Infanterie Division

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Gambeta

427 Infanterie Division

Post by Gambeta »

Hello.
I'm looking for any information about German 427 Infaterie Division in 1917.
In particular 9 Komp., 3 Bat.
Thank You
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

There was no 427. Infantry Division in the German Army WW I, but indeed there was a 427. Infantry Regiment attached to Infantry Division 205. The resume of that division in the "History of the Divisions of German Army which participated in War" (page 660/661) is pretty short and this regiment seems to have existed in 1917 only. Regiments were commonly disbanded and split among other units and this is typical of late divisions like that one.

205 ID seems to have spent most of WWI on the Eastern front, in January 1917 in Courland on the Aa. Then it was transferred to the Kalzeen (Mitau) area. In October it was found nearby Lake Lobe.

Fighting value is assessed as mediocre and it was rated 3rd class.

The book does not give detail of battalions but I trust this helps a bit.
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
Ostpreussen

Re: 427 Infanterie Division

Post by Ostpreussen »

Gambeta wrote:Hello.
I'm looking for any information about German 427 Infaterie Division in 1917.
In particular 9 Komp., 3 Bat.
Thank You
The most likely source of information for the company/battalion level will be a regimental history, and it looks as though there isn't one for IR427. Even if a regimental history is fairly detailed about company/battalion level movements/actions, usually only officers are mentioned by name.
Gambeta

Re: 427 Infanterie Division

Post by Gambeta »

"I'm looking for any information about German 427 Infaterie Division in 1917 "- of course 427 Infanterie Regiment, my mistake.
My grandfather died in 1918 in France and that is why I am looking for information about units.
He received the Iron Cross in 1917 on the eastern front. Then he fought in 427 I. R., but at the time of death was 84 I. R. Landwehr.
He disappeared without a trace in november 1918, but my grandmother said something about the village Flabas in France.
Thanks for help , best regards.