General WW One German or AH Histories

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Mike

General WW One German or AH Histories

Post by Mike »

Hello All,

For a long time I've searched for a good introduction to the World War One German experience and to that of Austria-Hungary as well. Does anyone know a good book or two that will covers these areas?

While we're at it, anyone know any general intros to Italy during the Great War?

Thanks in Advance.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Yes. Can't recommend this one too highly enough. Erudite and really well written. It's a pleasure to read and there's a fresh insight on every page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-World-War ... 186&sr=1-5
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Feldjäger

Re: General WW One German or AH Histories

Post by Feldjäger »

Mike wrote:Hello All,

For a long time I've searched for a good introduction to the World War One German experience and to that of Austria-Hungary as well. Does anyone know a good book or two that will covers these areas?

While we're at it, anyone know any general intros to Italy during the Great War?

Thanks in Advance.
Hi Mike,

the Austrian perspective is well covered by Manfried Rauchensteiner in his great and BIG book "Der Tod des Doppeladlers" (1993, IIRC). This is probably the best recent book on Austria-Hungary at war.
As for WW1 Italy, I don't know any good book in English or German languages on the subject. I can only suggest "Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice of the Great War" although it covers mainly the AH perspective and has terrible maps.