september 3 1944 in the vicinity of ENGHEIN in BELGIUM
tryied to stop the advance of the 2nd armoured recce battalion
Welsh Guards who rushed to Brussels.
would be grateful for any information.
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Tigers at ENGHEIN

Post by Paul Hanson »

As far as I can tell, the only unit in that area at that time was s. SS Pz. Abt 502.

PH
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I have done some reserch and have found a 14th SS Paqnzergrnaider division in the areas surrounding Engheim
"What is a world without war"
Paul Hanson
Contributor

14th SS P.G. Div

Post by Paul Hanson »

I doubt that. The unit had be destroyed in the Brody Pocket in July, 1944 and what few survivors there were had be sent to Germany to try and reconstitute the Division. As of September, 1944 they were reforming and training in Zilina, Slovakia.

Either way, since this unit was almost a pure Grenadier unit with very little Panzer attached, they would have had no Tigers. For that matter neither would any other P.G. unit.

PH
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

Tigers in Combat 2 has 2 photos of a 102 Command Tiger in the Streets of Enghien. Is Genval anywhere near Enghien?. There is a photo of a Tiger I near Genval with a 'hatch' cut into the turret root just in front of the commanders coupla-very strange.
Laurens
Supporter

Post by Laurens »

michael kenny wrote:Is Genval anywhere near Enghien?
The distance between these two towns located below Brussels is approximately 50km.
JOSE

Re: Tigers at ENGHEIN

Post by JOSE »

Paul Hanson wrote:As far as I can tell, the only unit in that area at that time was s. SS Pz. Abt 502.

PH
I found out on asite about the 502 that they already lost all their TIGERS before september 1st 44
But I also found that the 9ss retreated from ROUEN to BRUSSELS so I
suppose it could be their panzers maybe
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

TIC II says that SS sPzAbt. 102 passed through Enghein in September and as I said earlier has 2 photos of a Tiger in Enghein. However the book also shows a photo of a wrecked Tiger at Genval and it says it was the 'last' 102 Tiger. This photo is an early rubber wheel model and thus could not be a 102 Tiger. Was 'Hummel' in this area at any time?.
panzerok

Post by panzerok »

How many panzers of the SS sPzAbt. 102 in September 1944? :?:
panzer ace
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

According to Tieke (In The Firestorm Of The Last Years Of The War) 102 left all its Tigers on the left bank of the Seine(or in it!). TICII on the other hand says 1 Tiger made it to Belgium and it prints 3 photos said to be of this Tiger but it plainly is 2 different Tigers!. Schneider in TICII offers us no information as to why he thinks these 2 Tigers belong to 102 and one of them ( a rubber wheel model) simply can't be a 102 Tiger. I would go further and suggest the other Tiger probably isn't a 102 tank either. I know that the photo of another Tiger he publishes as 'the last' 101 Tiger destroyed in Belgium was simply given to him as an unknown Tiger and he then described it as a 101 Tiger. It seems no organised 102 Tiger Unit fought near Brussels in Aug/Sept so if anyone has any info that says otherwise it would be gratefully received.