Artillery rank denomination in a Gebirgs unit?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Walhav

Artillery rank denomination in a Gebirgs unit?

Post by Walhav »

I am trying to get the correct rank title for a junior sergeant:

He is trained as a recruit at the artillery school in 1941, before being promoted to junior sergeant in 1943 after serving at the Murmansk front, likely in Gebirgs-Artillerie-Rgt 118.

Now the question - he is pictured in in 1944 in a Heer uniform, with a Gebirgsjäger mütze complete with Edelweiss cap badge.

As a commander of a 10,5 cm K 331 (f) artillery gun, he is clearly still serving in the artillery. So even though I would jump to the conclusion that his formal rank is “Unteroffizier” due to his tresse, I am unsure. As an artillery NCO, his rank would be Unterwachtmeister? But didn’t Gebirgsjäger units have own rank titles? Would this also apply for support units such as artillery?

Summing up: Judging from the insignia on his jacket, he is pictured as an Heer Unteroffizier (Gebirgsjäger), but as an artillery battery commander is his rank correctly denominated as:
A) Unterwachtmeister?
B) Unteroffizier?
C) Oberjäger?

Has anyone seen any personnel files or soldbuchs that could indicate what ranks would be used in a “Gebirgsartillerie” unit?