Panzergrenadier 12 man schützenkette?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

KillDieRise

Panzergrenadier 12 man schützenkette?

Post by KillDieRise »

Hi there, I'm attempting to do some research on the Panzergrenadier Großdeutschland's infantry organization starting at Kompanie level and going down to Gruppe level, from what I've been able to piece together so far, they seemed to have 12 man teams for some time, 1x Leader, 1x Assistant Leader, 2x Machine-gunners, 4x MG helpers, 4x Riflemen. Now from this organization its quite obvious how they would work while mounted in a Half Track, however I've hit a dead end when it comes to how they organized in a schützenreihe and more specifically the schützenkette due to the fact that they now how 2 MG teams per gruppe, if anyone could provide any links, diagrams, or just anything in general that could assist me in my research of the Panzergrenadier Großdeutschland would be most appreciated!
tigre
Patron

Re: Panzergrenadier 12 man schützenkette?

Post by tigre »

Hello KillDieRise :D; a little to start..........................

Panzergrenadier tactics.

I do not know how much you can get from.....but anyway..........

https://es.scribd.com/document/72673675 ... er-Tactics

Hope be useful in some way. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Re: Panzergrenadier 12 man schützenkette?

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a little more..........................

Panzergrenadier tactics.

The strength of the Schützengruppe would be 7 to 8 men.

1 . The fight from the vehicle: In the vehicle the group leader will operate the radio. The group leader is the commander of the vehicle. His place is behind the driver. The main force of the group is a ss.MG of 1.5 up to 2 cm caliber in all-round mount firing for ground and air shooting. It is served by the gunmen. There remain 5 men of the group. Two of them operates a le.MG, while the others fight with a submachine gun.

2. The fight on foot: Neither in the attack nor in the defense can the group leader handle a group of more than about 7 men. To split it in two half-groups would become necessary, thus creating the internal context
and the resulting elasticity and impact force of the group. Experienced leaders of 10-man groups were therefore often detached 3 men back and gave them special tasks, such as ammunition supplies, liaisons, etc.

The lower strength limit is determined by the necessary number of weapons. The standard equipment is 2 le. MG, which needs 4 man to be operated. The remaining 2 men are the so-called organization reserve of the group leader. Their equipment can vary depending on the combat task. In the attack, they will use a sort of close combat weapons, submachine gun, rifle, grenades, fog, wire scissors, and so on. If the foot-
attack is over long distances, they will carry in the beginning additional MG-munition, as well as the group leader himself, they continue until be relieved in the assault, where their real function as a close fighters begins. In the defense they were predominantly equipped with submachine guns. It can also remove the ss.MG from the vehicle to a dug inposition.

Source: Die Panzergrenadiere. Geschichte und Gestalt der mechanisierten Infanterie 1930 — 1960. Dr. F. M. von SENGER und ETTERLIN

Hope be useful in some way. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.