TOE of Schützenkompanie in Panzerdivision June 1941

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

PreußensGlanz
Supporter

TOE of Schützenkompanie in Panzerdivision June 1941

Post by PreußensGlanz »

Hi
I'm trying to understand the structure of a Schützenkompanie in a Panzerdivisions in June 1941.
The TOE I have grants each of those companies 18 light MG, 2 heavy MG and 3 light mortars.
The specific TOE of the Panzerdivision:
http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/4 ... pz-14.html

Now looking at the K.St.N(I only know those from http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstnmain.htm , if there are other sources I would welcome them) I can't find any company that fits to the TOE of the infantry companies in the 14, Panzerdivision.
The early 1941 K.St.N(131c, 131e, 131f) show too few light MG and have no heavy MG, the late 1941 K.St.N(138c) miss the mortars and show from the 18 light MG 6 as reserve, another late 1941 set(1114 (gp), 1114) has 18 light MG but 4 heavy MG and no light mortars.
So none of these K.St.N fit with what the infantry companies of the 14. Panzerdivisions show for June 1941.

Now the question is, is the TOE wrong or did I just miss the correct K.St.N for the companies?
Cheers
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Leo Niehorster
Author

Re: TOE of Schützenkompanie in Panzerdivision June 1941

Post by Leo Niehorster »

If I may get preachy for a minute:
The link you refer to shows an organizational diagram, not a TOE.

The Germans did not have combined T/O&E such as the late US Army lists, but each unit one or more tables of organization (KStN) and tables of equipment (KAN).

The KStN (Kreigsstärkenachweisung) [Table of Organization] listed the men by rank, military specialty, function, as well as weapons, animals, and vehicles per unit. See the example on WWII-Day-by-Day : Kriegsstärkenachweisung (KStN)

The KAN (Kriegsausrüstungsnachweis) [Table of Equipment] were long lists of all the equipment of the unit, including not only sewing kits, flash lights, gas masks, blankets, shovels, typewriters, rubber stamps, tables & chairs, uniform equipment not issued directly to the soldiers, etc., etc., etc., but also expendable material such as ammunition, mines, explosives, and even flame throwers.

The motorized infantry of the motorized infantry divisions, (under the supervision of the Infantry Inspectorate), used KStN numbers in the 100's, (three digits), whereas the motorized (and armored) infantry in the Panzer divisions, (under the supervision of the Mobile Troops Inspectorate), used KStN in the 1000's, (four digits). Some exceptions existed.

Organizations for German units is a very complex subject. For example, over one thousand (!) KStN were issued by the Infantry Inspectorate alone. And many of these were modified by Army Orders (Heeresmittelungen) published regularly and were binding. And different theaters might have varying exceptions and variations.

Anyway, here is the KStN valid for the 14th Panzer Division in June 1941:

KStN 1114 Motorized Infantry Company dated 01.02.1941
  Co Hqs: 4 motorcycle; 2 field cars (Kfz. 15).
  MG Det: 1 motorcycle combination; 1 field car (Kfz. 15); 2 trucks (Kfz. 70); 2 HMG.
  3 Inf Plt, each:
       - Hqs Sect: 1 motorcycle combination; 1 truck (70); 1 mortar (50mm).
       – 3 Inf Sqd, each: 2 trucks (Kfz. 70); 1 Infantry Squad w/ 2 LMG.
  Co Maintenance Sect: 1 motorcycle combination; 1 light maintenance car (Kfz. 2/40).
  Co Trains: 1 motorcycle; 1 car (light); 8 trucks (medium); 1 truck (3-ton cross-country).

Cheers
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces