Landesschützen units - Roles, organization, personnel

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

cpittman

Landesschützen units - Roles, organization, personnel

Post by cpittman »

I am interested in Heer Landesschützen units and hope that this thread could be something of a reference on the subject. I have been looking for information on these formations with only limited success and I'm not even sure where to start. I am looking for any sources or references that may help provide a clearer picture of these formations.

I have been under the impression that Landesschützen-Bataillone were part of the Ersatzheer rather than the Feldheer. Recently I have found some conflicting information. Is there a source that can conclusively identify whether these units were Ersatzheer or Feldheer formations? Or is it true that among Landesschützen-Bataillonen there were some assigned to the Ersatzheer and some to the Feldheer?

I am also wondering how men were classed and assigned to Landesschützen units. Is there a way to determine what percentage of Landesschützen soldiers (if any) were classified as fit for front-line service?

When were Landesschützen units created, what was their original purpose? How were the units organized, how were the Kompanien distributed in each Bataillon? I couldn't find a KStN for these units and may not have been looking in the right places.

Is there an available period source that might shed more light on the roles of Landesschützen units, their duties, etc.? Were there different categories of Landesschützen units within the Heer? I am also interested in learning more about the role of Landesschuetzen units in guarding POW camps.

I have studied some personal ID documents of soldiers who served in Landesschützen units at various times but as of yet have not been able to put together a cohesive picture of these units and their personnel. I would be grateful for any input and especially for information on any references or sources that might be helpful. I am most interested in the role of these units in the 1942-1945 period. I do have some scans of some of the documents I have studied and can post them here if there is interest.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this project, I am grateful for any information.

Sincerely,

Chris Pittman
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Landesschützen units - Roles, organization, personnel

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello Chris,

Landesschützen units were raised with the mobilisation 1939. The Mob-Plan has the number of Landesschützen units with
5292 officers, 287 officials, 22 554 NCO´s and 1149 359 men (+8700 total in eastern prussia).
The Lds.Schtz. units were part of the Ersatzheer also tactically subordinated to the Feldheer if in occuppied territories.

At the beginning of the war their duties were all rear guard and security duties .. POW´s, bridges, installations, transports etc...
Later special units like bridge-, transport guard units were formed leeaving them mainly POW guard duties. Of course some units in occupied territories were also involved in anti partisan etc.. operations.

In 1942 a Landesschützenbataillon had 3 companies (4/19/129) and a Stabskompanie. I have the KStN if you are interested.

I never saw any documents giving percentages about the fitness of members. I know that g.v.F., and g.v.H. (Garnisonsverwendungsfähig Feld und Heimat) were the two grades for the Ldschz.units.

But I agree that there is not much information to find.

/Christoph
cpittman

Post by cpittman »

Christoph, thank you so much for this very insightful and helpful reply. I have been searching for a KStN for a Landesschuetzen Bataillon without success, if you could please share that with me I would be extremely grateful. Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Chris
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello,

I have added KStN 4031 and KStN 4021 to my site.

/Christoph
cpittman

Post by cpittman »

Thanks so much! I can't thank you enough, I really appreciate it.
RomanZ

Post by RomanZ »

In the end of war were some (maybe all?) of L-S Btl used like infantry, subordinated to division.
For example: 888th and 987th L-S btl subordinated in 1-2/1945 to 4th Gebirgsdivision.