Best Heer Panzer division in Wehrmacht ?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Kelvin
Enthusiast

Best Heer Panzer division in Wehrmacht ?

Post by Kelvin »

I don't know that topic existed or not, I would like to ask forum members that which Heer panzer division was your favourite ? My favourite is 23. and 116. Panzer divisions ? How about u ? Merry Christmas for all members. :D
madmike

Re: Best Heer Panzer division in Wehrmacht ?

Post by madmike »

Why the 23rd?
bradhunter
Supporter

Post by bradhunter »

For the Heer, I'd have to say Panzer-Lehr.
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

It depends on the eye of the beholder. I think success is a question of the enemy. So far the 16th and the 24th would be the first choice of mine.
Happy New Year!
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

madmike wrote:Why the 23rd?
That wonderful division, still in worse condition in late 1944, as spearhead and won a great victory for German : the battle of Nyiregyhaza during 23-27 Oct 1944. Pliyev Mechanized-Cavarly Group ( 4th and 5th Guards Cavalry Corps and 23rd Tank Corps) were encircled and destroyed. 23.Panzer division was the main attacking force with the support of 1.Panzer division, crushed Russian mechanized force, ruining their dream of capturing Hungary by the end of 1944. That Russian mechanized group had 6,255 killed and 6,662 were captured and another 11,900 estimated killed, Russian also lost 358 tanks, 1954 motor vehicles, 310 guns, 247 mortars and 600 antitank gun. :up:
BTW, 3.Gebirgsjager Division and 46.infanterie division also performed well in that battle and also my favourites. :wink:
mammoth181

Post by mammoth181 »

I have not settled for a single one yet, but I find 4th, 5th, 19th and 23rd Panzer Divisions most interesting.
I know that 23rd Panzer Division had 2672 confirmed tank "kills", although impressive number it doesn't tell me much in comparison to other divisions, someone with divisional histories have more information about other units?
Let's see, shortly, why these?
23.Pz.Div - Good combat record and recieved early and many of my fav tank, Pzkpfw V Panther :wink:
19.Pz.Div - Interesting combat areas during the last year of the war, one of few Panzer Divisions to meet the Vistula-Oder operation and very nice emblem.
4.Pz.Div - Awesome unit, fought from first day to the last day of the war with great combat record, one of the few units to recieve Jagdpanthers.
5.Pz.Div - Excellent unit with good combat record, counterattacked the Soviet Operation Bagration.

:beer:
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

On September 1 1943, 23. Panzer Division had 96 Panther ready for action. :up: But she was always understrength after mid-1944.

5.Panzer Division always received reinforcement after mid-1944 and remained the strongest division in the Eastern Front.

6. 19. and 25.Panzer division were always up to strength after complete refitting in the rear of 1944. So did 20. Panzer division after complete refitting after Bagration.

3.Bear Panzer division became stronger one in late 1944, so did 8. Panzer Division
mammoth181

Post by mammoth181 »

I find it very strange to leave such a veteran division as 4.Pz.Div for months in Courland, and then when finally shipped away force it to leave behind all of it's heavy equipment which it's been fighting so hard to keep running.
Did they ever recieve any of it's Panthers in Courland back on a later stage or were all of them taken over permanently by 14.Pz.Div?
mellenthin
Supporter

Post by mellenthin »

The 7th was probably the best.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I have always felt that the 5. Panzer didn't receive due credit especially towards the end of the war in East Prussia. I'm not saying it was one of the best but it certainly was awesome in this campaign.

Regards,

Helmut
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Helmut wrote:Servus,
I have always felt that the 5. Panzer didn't receive due credit especially towards the end of the war in East Prussia. I'm not saying it was one of the best but it certainly was awesome in this campaign.

Regards,

Helmut
what does you mean ? some people downgraded or underestimated the performance of 5. Panzer division ?
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Kelvin,
I don't mean that anyone downgrades the 5. Panzer, just that it is not given credit for it's accomplishments. Not that much is written about it in English and I don't think that there is all that much written about it in German either, as compared to some of the other panzer divisions. It is therefore a much lesser known of the panzer divisions.

Regards,

Helmut
mammoth181

Post by mammoth181 »

There's not much about Heer Panzer Divisions in english sadly, most are about Waffen-SS Divisions. I find Heer divisions more interesting nowdays, I think 4th and 5th Panzer Divisions were both very good, my favourites.
5th fought on german soil during late 1944 while 4th was left in Courland which make 5th more interesting to me at this stage of the war. Learned a lot from Kamen's Fire Brigades :up: but still miss divisional histories in english :(
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

5. Panzer divison always could get enough reinforcement in the later period of war. In June 1944, prior to Bagration, she was one of two strongest Panzer divisions in the Eastern Front. In Jan 1945, prior to Vistula Oder, she also remained the strongest one in Army Group Center facing Russian onslaught.
Panzer division

Post by Panzer division »

The 6th Panzer had some of the best leadership and they performed very well on the eastern front. I am shocked nobody mentioned the 2nd Panzer division. They did very well on both fronts. The Allies thought they were the most powerful division at the Bulge.