Boot Camp

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Patrick
Enthusiast

Boot Camp

Post by Patrick »

I was just watching the first half of Full Metal Jacket when it suddenly occurred to me - I've never read a book that describes the boot camp experience of a German Landser. Are there any books that anyone can recommend?
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
kurt74

Re: Boot Camp

Post by kurt74 »

Hallo,
there is the Book:"Ein Sonderbarer Haufen", discribing the SS-Sturmbatailon 500. A so called "Bewährungseinheit" (Probationunit). Its an old book, writen afew years after the end of WWII. As I know, it is only obtainable in german.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Not to nitpick , but the title, I believe, is actually EIN SONDERLICHER HAUFFEN.

Regards,

Helmut
SEW

Post by SEW »

Another very good book and movie is 08/15!
Have a look here:
http://reallywildstuff.0catch.com/0815K ... #Kaserne_1
I don't know if there's an english translation, but if you understand German it's fun!

Patrick

Schütze Ewald W.
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

maybe check out Fronsoldaten by Stephan G. Fritz......it tells of some boot camp experiences

dieter
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

Hans Helmut Kirst wrote the 08/15 trilogy in the 1950s. He was a "Zwölfender" who ended up serving until the end of the war. The books were translated into English and achieved some popularity in their English editions. Their English titles and dates of issue are: "The Revolt of Gunner Asch" [1955] "Forward, Gunner Asch!" [1956] (also published as "Gunner Asch Goes to War") and "The Return of Gunner Asch" [1957]. All three books are great reads in either English or German. But the first is absolutely the best and I've read it several times, and it's one of the best military-themed books ever. You should be able to find the books at Abe Books for not much money.

www.abebooks.com