Hindenburg stamps.

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
Kreigshund

Hindenburg stamps.

Post by Kreigshund »

Hello All

I recently purchased two 1939 dated envelopes and I am trying to find out more about the stamps affixed,

The first envelope with the Hindenburg stamps is dated 13.3.39, the 2 red stamps are 12pfg and the blue is 20pfg

The second envelope is dated 19.6.39, and has a red 12pfg and a blue 20pfg stamp. Swastika removed to list on ebay.

I was wondering if there was a reason for the change to the dienstmarke/swastika stamp and if so when did this change take place exactly.

I am a novice in this field, any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Kreigshund

Image.
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Hindenburg Stamps

Post by Rudi S. »

Hello Kriegshund,
According to my stamp collection Album, the Hindenburg (no-swastika) stamps were issued between 1932 and 1938 and water-marked with a series of small exes (x). and some with reversed swastikas.

The "Dienstmarke" type was issued from 1934 to 1938; the water-mark being a reversed swastika.

I have no idea why the first type and second type of the Hindenburg series were issued. They only have one thing in common, and that is, that the colors of the corresponding amounts are the same - as you can see on the 12 and 20 Pfennig stamps.

I can only guess that the "Dienstmarke" had been used on official mail only.

Best regards,
Rudi S.
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

HINDENBURG STAMPS

Post by Rudi S. »

BTW, I have just found out that were also unwatermarked swastika stamps, issued 1942-1944 from 3 through 50 pf.
Rudi S.
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

I'm a littel confused by your question. The Hindenburg issue was followed by the Hitler portrait issue as the common use stamp. There where no Hindenburg Dienstmarken exept the so-called police perfins used only by police which are only official business by the perforation.

So Hindenburg was not followed by the swastika official bussines stamp.
silver

Post by silver »

In during 1930-1934 was printed 48 postal stamps with Hindenburg.
monmax

Post by monmax »

First serie Hindenburg issued 1 october 1932 7 nominations watermark wafers
Second serie Hindenburg issued april-august 1933 14 nominations watermark reverse swastika
Third serie Hindenburg issued 1933-1936 17 nominations watermark reverse swastika
Fourth serie Hindenburg issued 4 september 1934 6 nominations commemorating Hindenburg's death an overprint of the 1933-1936 series.

(Source: Michel Katalog Deutschland Spezial 2002)

There were two series of Swastika Dienstmarken.
The first serie issued from 1934-1938 with a reverse swastika watermark.
The second serie was issued 1942-1944 without watermark.
In between the series and after there were two equal series with the German Hoheits adler i.e. an eagle on a pedestal.
(Same source)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

The Hindenburg stamps are regular 'Reichspost' postal stamps, the main regular issue until replaced by the Hitler head in 1941.
The Swastika 'Dienstmarke' stamps are 'officials' used by government agencies. Usually the envelope they are on will have also the circle seal showing which government agency used it. There are also 'official' stamps for Nazi Party agencies, these picture a small pillar with the Hoheitszeichen (eagle sitting on the swastika) on top. These enevelopes will also usualy have the agency or dept. printed on them.