Feldpost envelope

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
shooterd20

Feldpost envelope

Post by shooterd20 »

I am searching for some information. I purchased a Feldpost cover this Summer and am trying to find some information about the addressee. The cover has some mnemonics that I would like to decipher. I tried to locate the unit on the web and checking the location of units in the German army, without success. Next, I tried to find Perhaps some member could point me to some research locations on the Internet that would be of help.

Here is the information on the cover.
The postmark is dated 2.1.44 11 [I believe that this is the 1st if January, 1944 at 11 am.]
There is no stamp on the envelope, however the postmark is Tubingen 1
The first line reads Objg. u. Fhj. d. R. [I assume that this is the man's rank, but I don't know the abbreviation meanings.]
The second line reads Dr. Georg Reichert
The third line reads 5.Kp./ Geb.jg. E. u. A. BU. 319 [ I believe that this says that the man was from the mountain division]
The fourth line reads(in big letters) Taus /Protekt.
The return address on the back of the envelope reads S. Reichert, Tubingen, Najelesh.24 [I believe that this is a relative of the man to whom the letter is being sent.]

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.
Joseph Seliga
Simon H
Associate

Re: Feldpost envelope

Post by Simon H »

Hello Joseph,

The first line reads Oberjäger und Fahnenjunker der Regiment. As you rightly guessed the guys rank, NCO candidate in the mountain troops. If there is also a feldpost number (sometimes a letter and 5 digits, or just 5 digits) then this might also confirm the unit.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

A bit more for you:

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 319 was mobilised on 26 August 1939 in Coburg, in Wehrkreis XIII. At the same inception, the battalion also drew manpower from Landesschützen-Bataillon, X / XIII. The battalion itself was under the 173rd Division and supplied replacements for the 231st Infantry Division.

The battalion Staff was formed on 29 November 1939 from the Second Battalion of Infantry Regiment 330 of the 183rd Infantry Division.

On 1 October 1942 the Battalion was in Ansbach in an Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 319 and shared an Infanterie-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 319. Both battalions were moved to Taus, in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, under the command of 193rd Division.

On 7th November 1942 both battalions were renamed; Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 319 and Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 319.

On 10 April 1943, both battalions were combined into a new unit, Grenadier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 319.
On 30 June 1943, the battalion was reorganized as Gebirgsjäger-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 31.

On 5th April 1944 this unit moved from Taus to Laak at the Zaier in Gorenjska, in the Military District XVIII.. The Battalion was under command of the 418th Division.

Feldpostnumbers were briefly issued in October 1944 field post numbers for a Reserve-Grenadier-Bataillon 319 but these were withdrawn in November 1944. They were: Stab 37535 A, 1. Kompanie 37535 B, 2. Kompanie 37535 C, 3. Kompanie 37535 D, 4. Kompanie 37535 E .
Simon Harrold

shooterd20

Post by shooterd20 »

Dear Mr. Harrold,
Thank you very much for the information. I now have a much better understanding of the information on the cover. The envelope did not have a five digit Feldpost number. I would like to learn more about the unit and the man to whom the letter was addressed. I would like to determine the company of Dr. Riechert and his military assignment or specialty.

I have a few more questions.
1. What does the 5 Kps refer to?
2. Where can I find out why the German army retained the Battalion identity and attached it to different divisions through the war?
3. What was the purpose of an Ersatz battalion?
4. What was the purpose of an Ausbildungs battalion?
5. Where would I be able to research the service of the battalion?
6. Where would I be able to research the roster of the battalion?
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

shooterd20 wrote: 1. What does the 5 Kps refer to - This is the 5th Kompanie.
2. Where can I find out why the German army retained the Battalion identity and attached it to different divisions through the war? See below.
3. What was the purpose of an Ersatz battalion? - To provide replacements for it's allotted "home" Division.
4. What was the purpose of an Ausbildungs battalion? - The training and instruction of new recruits to the allotted "home" Division.
5. Where would I be able to research the service of the battalion?
6. Where would I be able to research the roster of the battalion?
There may be references to the Battalion among the records held at the National Archives, although such documents are rarely found complete. The thread below explains the purpose of the Ersatz system very concisely;

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=8008
Simon Harrold

shooterd20

Post by shooterd20 »

Thanks for the additional information. I have another question. It just dawned on me that during WW2, mail to US soldiers was stamped by the sender. This envelope was sent to the sender, presumably by some member of his family, since the family name is the same. However, it was not stamped and the letter was marked feldpost. My question is, "Did the German Government permit letters to soldiers to be also sent stampless during WW2?