There may be references to the Battalion among the records held at the National Archives, although such documents are rarely found complete. The thread below explains the purpose of the Ersatz system very concisely;shooterd20 wrote: 1. What does the 5 Kps refer to - This is the 5th Kompanie.
2. Where can I find out why the German army retained the Battalion identity and attached it to different divisions through the war? See below.
3. What was the purpose of an Ersatz battalion? - To provide replacements for it's allotted "home" Division.
4. What was the purpose of an Ausbildungs battalion? - The training and instruction of new recruits to the allotted "home" Division.
5. Where would I be able to research the service of the battalion?
6. Where would I be able to research the roster of the battalion?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest