I'm rich - hooray!

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

I'm rich - hooray!

Post by Troy Tempest »

I just received my 100,000,000 Mark note, issued by the Reichsbank in Aug '23. I bought it fom a dealer on ebay that I have had many dealings with. I've always read and heard about these astronomically high denomination bank notes, and now I've got one! As a sign of the times, it's only printed on one side of the note. 100,000,000.....yeah baby! I'm an instant multi-millionaire!!!

Troy
20.43 - fri, sydney
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
mightythor99
Enthusiast

i read in the newspaper about 10 years ago.................

Post by mightythor99 »

that some guy took one of teh 10,000 mark notes into teh bank and exchanged it for $$, and went on a spending spree...........of course,.........the bank isnt going to loose..............they got ahold of him pretty quick......but he had already spent a ton of the money, he he
:beer: :beer: :beer:
:up: :up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

one other story

Post by mightythor99 »

i, when i was pretty young, bought a french franc note, that had been devalued, from 1000 francs to 10 francs...............something like that, and many of the notes had been stamped with the "new" rate in red ink, and some had not. this one had not.
anyway, i took it to the bank, cause i "knew" it was still good.............and they gave me $200+. (was with my dad........i was maybe 6th grade or so). he kept the $$, and we went to flea market, where i did my best to spend it all.........i was a heck of a buyer...........with money!!
well, the bank called him about a week later..............
:roll: :roll:
..............................shoulda gone to a bank that didnt know us! he he
(hind sight is 20/20)

happy collecting, and dont let the irs find out you are a millionaire.....yet!!!
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Troy Tempest
Enthusiast

Post by Troy Tempest »

Thanks for your reply mightythor! I'm buying quite a few post WWI german bank notes, they're pretty interesting, but the most interesting one is my 100,000,000 mark note!

Troy
18.58 - thu, sydney
Hello from sunny Port Macquarie
mightythor99
Enthusiast

millions!!

Post by mightythor99 »

i was always amazed at all the interesting art work on those bills. i had a nice collection of paper money for a long time...........now i just kind of hoard it i guess. i've got a friend who has a coin shop, and i buy most of the foreign paper money that comes in his shop. not always what i "want", but i get it pretty cheap. not a big market for it here..........someday i'll have millions too! he he
happy collecting!!!
ted

:D :up:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

now all you need is a "period" coffee shop that will give you your ONE cup of coffee for your banknote! LOL
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Opa
Supporter

Inflation in Germany

Post by Opa »

This website is about a diary with prices during the inflation period
http://www.kollektives-gedaechtnis.de/t ... on1923.htm
Honny soit qui mal y pense!
kriegs

large denominations banknotes

Post by kriegs »

I have one from the bank of Berlin 1924 that reads zwanzig millionen reichsmarks and another that is for funf milliarden reichsmarks . my wifes OPA died and we found them in his stuff. do higher denominations have any special value to a collector?
mightythor99
Enthusiast

higher denominations.............values.............

Post by mightythor99 »

no, not really. what makes some of them more valuable then others, is "rarity" or scarcity, small cities that did not make very many bills total, etc. there are collectors for the novelty of it, but not too many anal retentive serious collectors of these, so not lots of huge valueable ones. does that make sense? lots of really nice artwork on many of them, some people collect them for the artwork...............
i read in the paper 10 or so years ago, that someone in wisconsin took one of the 10,000 mark notes, or 100,000 mark notes, and a bank cashed it,.........but of course, they tracked him down asap.............to get the $$ back! gotta find a dumb bank i guess! ;-))
:up: :up: :evil:
mightythor99
Enthusiast

here's some $$ for sale on ebay germany.......

Post by mightythor99 »

thought it might be of interest for someone in this thread. some pretty interesting ones, in my opinion. anyway, happy collecting!

http://cgi.ebay.de/KONVOLUT-von-14-alte ... dZViewItem
haen2
WWII Vet

Re: I'm rich - hooray!

Post by haen2 »

My Dad bought sometime in the mid '20's a whole trunk full of the stuff. Because he actually believed that someday it would regain its value. As kids we played 'shop" with it.
When German troops invaded us ( Holland) I got hold of some of the smaller denominations and was not too surprised that I was laughed out of the store.
I wish I knew what he had done with it, after I left home. Oh well.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !