NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN EASTERN FRONT PHOTOS

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

CLuther1950

NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN EASTERN FRONT PHOTOS

Post by CLuther1950 »

Hello One & All!

At my web/blog site (http://www.barbarossa1941.com) I have posted dozens of eastern front photos (many quite graphic) taken by German soldiers in 1941.
Some of the photos were provided me by German eastern front veterans (see menu tab "Barbarossa Photos"), and a large group came from the German Federal War Graves Commission, whose tiny little office in Smolensk I visited in June 2016 while conducting research. The commission provided me with photos shot by a German tank commander in General Nehring's 18 Panzer Division (menu tab, "Eastern Front Photos").
All posted (under "Trail") are more than 100 color photos of my trip to Russia in June 2016, on the trail of the German 18 Infantry Regiment. With a former Russian colonel as our guide, we (myself and the son of German veteran and author of an amazing eastern front memoir, Dr. Heinrich Haape), travelled 4500 km from Berlin to Moscow, along the route of Haape's 18 IR. We were in Rzhev, Russia, on the 75th Anniversary of the German invasion and witnessed the burial of the remains of 1200 Russia soldiers at the joint German/Russian military cemetery there.
I think y'all find the photos quite interesting, and I have no problem with anyone using them for their own research purposes (just, please, provide attribution). Many of the photos can be found in my recent book, "Barbarossa Unleashed," or will be published in my impending new book, "First Day on the Eastern Front."
My very best,

Dr Craig Luther
Tehachapi, CA
[email protected]
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN EASTERN FRONT PHOTOS

Post by Alex Dekker »

Thanks a lot for the tip! I did read Haapes book years ago (researching the war of my German granddad, his division took a same route more or less) and yes, I want to take the same trip when I am grown up ;-). I will take a look, so thank you very much!!!
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
CLuther1950

Post by CLuther1950 »

Hi, Alex!
Thanks for your kind words. I've completed a new, fully edited/annotated version of Dr Haape's memoirs. Hope to have it out next year.
My best,
Craig
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

And foto's added?
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
CLuther1950

Post by CLuther1950 »

Yes, sir. New photos as well, including some from the Haape Family Archives.