identify regiment from photograph?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Pelena

identify regiment from photograph?

Post by Pelena »

Hello- I am doing some research on my family and I'm looking to find my grandfather's military records. I'm told he was a prisoner of war in Russia. I have tried the Red Cross and have initiated a search with the Deutsche Dienststelle. I have also been advised it may be worth going to Freiburg in person to the archives there- anyone have any advice/experience of this? (I also posted this in the archive forum so apologies for duplicating!)
Finally, I'm trying to identify his regiment. This is a photo was taken shortly after his release from Soviet captivity at the end of January 1946 (or so I'm told- it seems quite early). He was sent to the front (I presume eastern) towards the end of 1942, aged 21, having previously been able to delay because of his engineering studies. I would be really grateful if anyone could help! (I'm also a German speaker so answers in German welcome!)
Attachments
wolfgangsoldier.jpeg
wolfgangsoldier.jpeg (209.73 KiB) Viewed 3767 times
Pelena

Re: identify regiment from photograph?

Post by Pelena »

ETA it would make more sense that the date I read as "46" (the year I know he returned from captivity) may have been a messy "0" which would make this a picture on the day of enlistment in 1940. I know he didn't go the the front until 42 though, possibly because he managed to delay because of his engineering studies.

His name was Wolfgang von Schimmelmann
Attachments
wolfgangtext.jpeg
wolfgangtext.jpeg (296.9 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Simon H
Associate

Re: identify regiment from photograph?

Post by Simon H »

Hi,
I agree that the picture is earlier than 1946 for a couple of reasons. Firstly he wears the Infanterie schulterklappen with his unit on them, although they are not visible to decide his unit. Secondly there is a breast eagle on his tunic, which if the picture was taken during or shortly after Soviet captivity I would expect such a direct visual reference to the Nazi Reich to have been removed.

The Deutsches Dienstelle in Berlin is a good place to start.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.