Does anybody know anything about these two photos?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

areilley

Does anybody know anything about these two photos?

Post by areilley »

Hi, I bought these two photos years apart. Photo No.1 has 'LSSAH' written on the back in pencil. Photo No. 2 has nothing written on the back. I can not find anyingthing in either photo that gives me any information on the unit, the date, or the location.
I am hoping that these two photos surfaced years apart, that there may be more photos of this scene out there and that someone might be able to give some information.

My best guess that they date to 1943 or latter and that they were taken in Russia, but I have nothing to back up that opinion.
Thanks
Attachments
two wss marching postable size copy.jpg
two wss marching postable size copy.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Ronald Lameck
Supporter

Re: Does anybody know anything about these two photos?

Post by Ronald Lameck »

Purely hazarding a guess here: The photos look as though they were taken at almost precisely the same place, and within moments of each other. Looking at the concrete barriers to the right of the path/road, I am reminded of the tank barriers set at many places along the German border as part of the "Westwall." The flat terrain suggests that this may have been at the German border with the Netherlands. Based on the equipment, perhaps 1944. But don't be upset if I prove to be completely wrong.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Re: Does anybody know anything about these two photos?

Post by Charles Trang »

I don't think that this picture was shot in 1944 and the road doesn't look like a Dutch one (There were very good roads in the Netherlands and not muddy ones such as this one). But more important, these men are wearing boots which were very rare among infantry units by 1944. Moreover, I may be wrong as the photo is not big enough, but the front man seems to carry a Panzerbüchse which would be something quite weird by 1944.