Fallschirmjäger Luftwaffe Combat Group Where? Translate Pse

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jimd211545s
Supporter

Fallschirmjäger Luftwaffe Combat Group Where? Translate Pse

Post by jimd211545s »

Who Where and When, Any Suggestions, Comments on kit/weapons/uniform, suggestion it may be Normandy??...Thanks.
Waffen_pics 001.jpg
Waffen_pics 001.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
Waffen_pics 002.jpg
Waffen_pics 002.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 5203 times
laurence strong
Supporter

Re: Fallschirmjäger Luftwaffe Combat Group Where? Translate Pse

Post by laurence strong »

I doubt they are Fallschrimjager as their kit appears to be Heer issue. They are part of the 4th MG Company......
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

The do appear to have LW eagles on their caps. They also have good weaponry, such as a MG42. This suggests they are a LW Feld Division element. Those received good weapons, as opposed to, say, a LW Festungs Bataillon, which would have to make do with older or foreign machine guns. The LW Feld Divisions became part of the Heer in early 1944, becoming Feld Divisionen (LW), but many personnel would have still had their older caps and other items with LW markings. I would guess this photo is from the spring of 1944, as one man has a Panzerfaust 30 (Klein), which would have been newly issued at that time.
laurence strong
Supporter

Post by laurence strong »

Good call. I can see some gulls on the collars. My reference to Heer was the entrenching tool and ammo pouches which were not standard FJ kit. The helmet also appears to be Heer.
Gusbucket13

Post by Gusbucket13 »

I think it says rough translation = Our Heavy Machine Gun gruppe in 4th Machine Gun Company in frontservice under command of Unteroffizier XXXX (dont recognise the letter for name) The guy on the rights rifle looks like it might be a rare G 41 or W 41 semi auto rifle with protruding fixed box mag.

Cheers
GB13