What does ribbon specify

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

carrera73rs

What does ribbon specify

Post by carrera73rs »

Hello all

A new picture surfaced recently of my Uncle, I assume at the time of the photo which was June 1943 he was an Obergefreiter, and we believe with the Grenadier regiment 521.
Could anyone tell me what the ribbon he is wearing designates, I realize without the colors that it could be tough.
Thank you for your assistance.

Kirk
Attachments
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (152.34 KiB) Viewed 3222 times
laurence strong
Supporter

Re: What does ribbon specify

Post by laurence strong »

It appears to be the ribbon for the Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen (Westwall Medal).
carrera73rs

Post by carrera73rs »

Thank you for your response, when I look at the Westwall medal and ribbon they seem to have thinner bars of the center colour on the outside still, in the picture it seems to go right to the edge. It may be hard to see, so you could be correct. We understand he was with the Grenadier Regiment 521 and the picture was taken in 1943 so not sure if he actually served on the West Wall prior to 1940.

Kirk
Mike Higgins
Supporter

Post by Mike Higgins »

If not West Wall maybe Life Saving medal, as that ribbon is yellow with white stripes. The center color appears to light to be the Red Cross medal. He also appears to be wearing the ribbon for the Ost medal in his tunic buttonhole, hard to see though in this picture.