Fallschirmjager Photos - Fake, Reprints or Real ??

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jimd211545s
Supporter

Fallschirmjager Photos - Fake, Reprints or Real ??

Post by jimd211545s »

I have been collecting German WW2 photos for a few years now and these photos where one of my first buys. I have never been able to decide whether they are genuine or not ?? they did come from e(vil)bay and came from a larger series of photos. I occassionaly see a related one appear on the market and disapear just as quick. So whats the score with them? Fakes, Modern re-prints, taken from a book or genuine???? Jim.
Photos 010.jpg
Photos 010.jpg (111.23 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
Photos 012.jpg
Photos 012.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
Photos 013.jpg
Photos 013.jpg (115.45 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
Photos 014.jpg
Photos 014.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
storm39
Supporter

Re: Fallschirmjager Photos - Fake, Reprints or Real ??

Post by storm39 »

What type of paper are they printed on? Have you tried an ultra violet light on them?
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

The paper is Agfa and the ultra violet light test is inconclusive, they dont glow and I have split a corner on one and the paper inside does not glow as I have seen on a definate fake/repro photo, the photos are obviously posed or training shots, which may be why they seem unatural to me (its the equipment make up that makes me think that) didn't know if anyone has seen the others from this series or knows where they come from? Jim.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

They certainly looked posed but they just don't seem right. There isn't enough to go on. There is no clue in the scene and the equipment seems what you might expect. Is the guy with the binoculars wearing a scarf. Not sure about Agfa paper. I always thought it was "agfa+a type" during the war, for example Agfa Lupex, which seems to have been the most common but Agfa on its own I would associate with post war.
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

Yeah theres something not quite right about them but I cant put my finger on it all the things that could be wrong are justifyable? The y-straps all look pretty new and non are wearing Luftwaffe pattern y-straps, the guy with the bino's does appear to be wearing a scarf but there's nothing wrong in that really, the guy with the camo helmet cover looks very young, could be re-enactors or posed for press?
hawkeye 1

Post by hawkeye 1 »

Hi all,
the problem I have with those Pics is, the Uniforms don't seem to fit anybody.Just a thought.
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

Other than the bandoleer non of them are wearing ammo pouches or any other personal kit yet there is 'smoke' in the last pic, trying to give the impression of combat???
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

this is just sheer coincidence... some more of these photos have just appeared on ebay (Germany) if you want to check these out they are listed under:

4 Fotos Fallschirmjäger(?) mit Knochensack und MP40

makes me think these must come from some commercial set ???
john123

Post by john123 »

Two things I notice immediately...

1. The photos appear intentionally aged with all of the "hairs" and "specs"; this does not happen when a photo is taken in my opinion and I have never seen one such as this.

2. These men drop in, or are otherwise out on some sort of recon, presumably for several hours if not all day, and they have nothing to protect their bare hands on the cold steel of a MP40? Suspect.

3. Fallshirmjager troops were most often very well equipped and had plenty of small arms and FG42's, and they often had sidearms. As someone else mentioned, these guys are stripped down with no gear. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one of these troops with basically nothing except a gun and a smock.

OK, three.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

The uniforms and equipment are too clean and free from debris, mud and other stuff.

Mad Dog
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

I think I've seen these before, perhaps I also saw some similar on Ebay or somewhere else? I agree that they do not quite hit the mark for some reason. There are a number of queries for me also:

What date would they pertain to; clearly the M38's still have national insignia on them, not been removed and not all the protagonists are wearing helmet covers. No water bottles, breadbags, pouches for the MP40, only bandoliers for k98 ammunition?

Not combat, don't feel right for training either.

In my opinion they are fake.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
jimd211545s
Supporter

Post by jimd211545s »

My feeling is fake too!

Apart from all the above mentioned uniform/kit issues they come from a very large sequence of photos, I have seen at least 14 different photo's all from the same sequence.

some were on ebay just this week and the then owner of them agreed with my doubts and suggested a Polish re-enactment club?

How easy is it to get photos developed in the old style/format, is it still possible to obtain the period photo paper?

Jim.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

I used to do alot of "wet" photography, before the age of digital cameras and photoshop. It is still possible to obtain photographic paper with the same "feel" as wartime ones, although many of the wartime photos tend to be on very lightweight papers. The modern paper is much thicker. If they were sold to you as original and you have serious doubts then the seller should give you a refund. Always difficult to tell from an online sale - you often need to see/feel the item to make an informed judgement.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
cordelius100

Post by cordelius100 »

notice the edges of the photos are cut to a pattern, with the ripples repeating themselves
schultze

Post by schultze »

Obviously fake - re-enactors out on a weekend. The bonesacks appear to be in Heeres Splintermuster.
Noch 'Ne Runde