War memorial ?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

storm39
Supporter

War memorial ?

Post by storm39 »

Hi,

Bought some photos recently and trying to figure out where the guy was stationed. The only photo that might give a clue was this one. It may be someplace that's well known. Would anybody out there know. I should say that the photos are of a german soldier during WW2.
The link to the photo is shown below.

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormmaster13/5013646995/
ealdwita

Re: War memorial ?

Post by ealdwita »

I think the photos are quite modern, I'm afraid, certainly post-war. The give away is overall quality of the pictures and the aircraft captioned Me 108 when in fact it's a Spanish produced HA-1112, produced after the war and powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

(Having said that, I've no idea where that huge 'memorial' structure is!)
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

storm39 wrote:Hi,

Bought some photos recently and trying to figure out where the guy was stationed. The only photo that might give a clue was this one. It may be someplace that's well known. Would anybody out there know. I should say that the photos are of a german soldier during WW2.
The link to the photo is shown below.

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stormmaster13/5013646995/
It's a picture of the Great Parterre on to the Gloriette. Schloss Schönbrunn (Schönbrunn Palace) in Vienna - Austria.

Toward the end of the war there was a Flakstellung (anti-aircraft position) on the Gloriette and got damaged in 1945 by Allied bombing.
storm39
Supporter

Post by storm39 »

Thanks for the reply Ealdwita. It was only the building that was part of the WW2 set. The others I took myself, I just didn't realise that they were on the link. Thanks again.

Richard,

Thanks very much for solving my puzzzle and for the photo. From your information I was able to look at the photos in Google and I found an almost exactly matching photo.