can anyone help id wat unit my grandfather was in please

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jay2875

can anyone help id wat unit my grandfather was in please

Post by jay2875 »

grandfather
grandfather
grandad in uniform (2).jpg (248.19 KiB) Viewed 4431 times
this is a picture of my grandad wilhelm murkoster in his uniform during the 2nd world war i was wandering if anyone could help identify wat unit his uniform belongs to the only information i have on him is he worked with horses and logistics and he was on the eastern front he was captured in russia and didnt return home for many years after the war from this information i have assumed his unit was part of the 6th army but i maybe stupidly of the mark u know what they say about assumptions he was also on the eastern front during the winter all this information i have aqiured of my father as he is the only person he has ever spoken to about the war look forward to hearing some reasponses as would love to know more about my grandfather.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: can anyone help id wat unit my grandfather was in please

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

You could fill out a Private Request Form regarding his military career at the Deutsche Dienstelle (WASt). You have to be patient for about 6>8 month's before you get a answer (if there is any information regarding your grandfather available).
jay2875

Post by jay2875 »

thanks very much do you have to be a close relative to get this information or will being his grandson be sufficient
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

jay2875 wrote:thanks very much do you have to be a close relative to get this information or will being his grandson be sufficient
You don't have to be a relative necessarily (just use Private form and fill out the relationship to applicant). Because he was captured in russia you could also contact the Russian Military Archive (RGVA).

Rossijski Gosudartstwenny Wojenny Archiw (RGVA)
125212 Moskau
ul. Admirala Makarowa, 29
RUSSIA
jay2875

Post by jay2875 »

form filled in with the wast look forward to there response even if it does take a while thanks again for all your help
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

I just checked, when I was searching for my grandfather, it took the WASt only two (!) months to find the first information. A second request took them longer (also about my grandfather), about eight or nine months.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Alex Dekker wrote:I just checked, when I was searching for my grandfather, it took the WASt only two (!) months to find the first information. A second request took them longer (also about my grandfather), about eight or nine months.
Normally when it takes about 2>3 months it wasn't the first tracing request for this person, the paperwork comes from a digital archive than.

At this moment I have over 40 requests in progress, most of them will take about 6 months but sometimes indeed there will be a answer in 2>3 month's.

With a little luck there are also some documents at the Bundesarchiv R 2 in Berlin (before, Berlin Document Center).
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Richard,

If you have 40 requests in progress I can see why perhaps that yours sometimes takes longer!
Annelie

Annelie wrote:Richard,

If you have 40 requests in progress I can see why perhaps that yours sometimes takes longer!
There is "no longer" at the WASt, if the request is for official matters / private matters or research. Even for official matters (government) it's not going faster, I use a "Amtliche Bescheiningung" and also have to wait like anyone else.