Photo use question

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

midgardb

Photo use question

Post by midgardb »

I'm finishing a book for Casemate Publishing on the Roer River battles (9/44-2/45) and would like to include some German photos related to the conflict. Unlike the US or British veterans groups that have an online presence, there don't seem to be many from the German end. The Bundesarchive, IWM, etc. have photos I could use, but I was hoping to get permission to use some less-seen pictures. Anyone have an idea for contacts for something like this?

Thanks,
David Higgins
Cunard-WhiteStarLine
Supporter

Re: Photo use question

Post by Cunard-WhiteStarLine »

Hello David,
I recently requested permission from the Bundesarchiv and this is the contact information they sent me back in an email. Hope it helps.

Eddie

thank you for your mail and your interest in pictures of the Federal Archives.

You can use pictures of the Federal Archive free of cost under the following prerequisites on noncommercial internet pages:
- Fill out the appending "Regulations Governing the Use of Image Materials at the German Federal Archives (Bundesarchiv)" (see "http://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/md/c ... of-use.pdf") and send to the Federal Archive signed back, e.g. by fax.
- Give the complete signature of pictures and
? if known ? the names of photographers immediately allocated to the picture,
- The picture mustn't be a maximum page length more than 800 px and have at most 75 dpi resolution.
- You can alternatively register yourself also in the digital picture archives of the Federal Archives (http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/index.p ... ch_lang=en). After check of your registration and clearance through the Federal Archives you can log in and can download pictures for free ("private") in a maximum page length of 800 download px.